(Ch 7) Unconditionally

After another three months in the hospital, Luchie woke up as Drey was looking after her. Once she opened her eyes, she tried her best to observe and orient herself with her whereabouts. Foremost, she picked up that she was in a hospital setting although whatever happened she could not recall. She then looked around and noticed the person at her bedside. She stared at her beautiful face and smiled.

"A-addie?" Luchie tapped the younger lady who was asleep.

The younger lady opened her eyes, "oh my goodness, you're awake. Teka. I will get the nurse and doctor para ma-check ka. Sandali lang."

Luchie was not even able to respond as the lady left her side to get the medical staff's attention as she had stated.

Luchie, though a bit confused as to why Drey was the one looking after her, decides to let it go. She has questions but they all could wait. She then started to look for her phone but as soon she found it, Drey arrived with some doctors in tow.

"Doc Astro, maiwan ko na muna kayo ni attorney Garcia, I just have to make phone calls," Drey told the doctor as they got to the bed.

"Sige po, madam," the doctor acknowledged her before talking to Luchie, "Hello po attorney, we're glad you're awake. Matagal ka rin naming hinintay ha. Pinakaba mo kami," the doctor stated.

"H-hello doc. How long was I out?"

"Naku! Medyo matagal tagal din po, attorney. Seven months, to be exact. Former president Herrera is always here. Araw-araw nga po siyang nandito eh. She always ensures that we are looking after you to the best of our abililities. And also, your children. They were adamant that you were going to wake up kahit ilang beses na po kayong mag-code. Lalo na si FPH. She made sure everything was done for you. Anyways, kumusta naman po kayo?"

"Former president si Addie? Kailan pa? And how about my husband? Have you seen him visit? Sorry doc, medyo naguguluhan pa ako sa mga nangyayari. It seems as if my memories are all jumbled up. May mga bagay na hindi ko gaano marecall and there are things that I can. Siguro what I can't recall are very recent events dahil hindi ko naman alam na nagging president si Addie. PNoy is whom I am accustomed to, mali ba ako? Why am I in hospital nan ga ulit? And why was I out for that long? Seven months?"

"Well, first let me do my routing check on you po, madam attorney then I'll answer your questions one by one. 'Yung ibang questions po siguro na hindi medically related, maaaring family members n'yo na po ang magkwento sa inyo since I am not really sure if I'm in the right position to discuss those with you," the doctor replied as he examined Luchie.

"Okay," Luchie quietly replied.

"First of all, I forgot to introduce myself po pala, I am Dr. Astro Diaz, head of neuro. You can call me Astro or Doc Astro na lang po. Now, to answer your question as to what happened as to why you've been out for quite a while – you've had a vehicular accident dating from seven months ago. You were badly injured and at the moment you are suffering from one of its repercussions which, based on your questions so far and on what I can assess, with the confusion and the difficulties with recollecting recent information, you have what we call retrograde amnesia. This kind of amnesia usually is temporary but as it is, the severity of the injury you've had would define how long it will take for you to remember. So, with this given information, kung ang isusunod niyo pong itatanong ay kung kailan po babalik ang memories n'yo, we don't really have a definite timeline on that. But I can suggest that you let your family and friends help you with recollection sa pamamagitan po ng photos or journals or whatever they have to help juggle your memory or per se, correct misinformation and rewire your memory correctly with the sequences of events that had transpired in your life prior to the accident. It might help but there is no guarantee na mabilis ang magiging recovery mo. If ever naman na it would frustrate you dahil hindi ka agad makaalala then don't force yourself to remember, it is normal. Baka po kasi kapag ipinilit, it might only worsen your case as it would take a toll on both your mental and physical health."

"Okay, so, may amnesia nga ako. And I'm right nga, ang hindi ko matandaan ay current events," Luchie said as she sighed, "so, si Addie as you've said has been former president?"

"Ga... I mean, Luchie, how are you? Doc Astro, how is she?" Drey said as she entered the room and walked towards her seat next to Luchie's bed.

"Well, madam, as expected madam Luchie's head injuries had caused her to have amnesia. The duration of it depends on how much help she could get with recollecting memories. Physically, she would need physiotherapy to get back on her feet but knowing attorney, she'll be back in shape sooner rather than later," the doctor replied.

"That's good to know, how's her heart?" Drey asked Doc Astro as she sat down and held Luchie's hand.

"Dra. Valderama will visit to come and check that, madam. She's just in the OR with another patient but she's aware that madam Luchie has woken up. Madam, marami pong mga katanungan si attorney na maaring kayo po ang mas makakasagot. I also have to go as I have a sched in the OR in 20 minutes. Mauna na po ako ha? Attorney Garcia, welcome back."

"Thank you, Doc Astro," Luchie replied as she stared at Addie's hand which was entwined with hers.

"Salamat, doc," Drey replied with a smile before she faced Luchie.

"Addie, nasa'n si Bok? Sabi ni Astro ikaw daw ang parating nandirito na nagbabantay sa akin. Busy ba siya?"

Drey's smile turned into a sad one as she slowly let go of Luchie's hand, "Lucianne, tinawagan ko na ang mga bata. Baka mas mabuting sila na ang sumagot sa mga tanong mo. Ako 'yung laging nandito dahil busy ang mga bata sa kanya-kanya nilang mga trabaho. Si Fiore naman busy sa school. Kaya sabi ko, ako na lang ang magbabantay sa'yo kapag wala sila. Si Ara, well, she said she'll catch the first plane leaving California to come home since you've woken up na. Ganoon din si Luan because she went back to New York last week dahil kailangan n'ya umattend ng conference as well as hinahanap na raw kasi siya ng big bosses niya sa firm. Si Raffy naman, natapos niya na 'yung residency niya sa Seattle and luckily, she got a job sa Global City straight away. She's currently on shift. May patients lang daw siyang need icheck and she'll be on her way here. Fiore's got a presentation at 5pm sa last class n'ya for the day. So, for now, tayong dalawa lang muna rito. Gusto mo bang kumain? Nagugutom ka ba? Gusto mo ng water?"

"Addie, salamat. Maraming salamat," Luchie said as she teared up, "thank you for looking after me and the kids. I appreciate it. It seems like I've forgotten a lot of recent memories nga. Hindi ko alam na nasa ibang bansa pala sina Ara at Luan and doctor na si Raffy. Also, Fiore's also in college. Ang naaalala ko kasi ay college pa ang mga bata at si Fiore high school pa lang. Si Ara lang ang alam kong nasa ibang bansa dahil kumukuha ng masterals niya. Pasensya ka na ha? Naabala ka pa naming mag-iina. Anyway, ikaw ba kumain ka na? Kasi kung hindi pa, sabayan mo siguro ako?"

"Ano ka ba, wala 'yon. Lucianne, mahal kita. Okay? Anything for you and the girls. Sige, sasabayan kitang kumain. Bibili lang muna ako ng makakain natin ha?"

"Okay, sige," Luchie replied.

As Drey left the room, a phone started ringing. Luchie tried looking for it, only to locate it on the bedside table. She reached for it; it wasn't hers. It must be Adrianne's. The caller ID reads: My Love.

With a frown on her face, she decided to answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Mom, I asked yaya to call. I miss you. Are you coming home at 7pm? Sabay po tayo dinner? Pwease, mom?"

"H-hi, it's Luchie. Adrianne stepped out for a second, she left her phone. I'll tell her you called. Who am I speaking to?"

"VP Gandaaa! Omydash! You're with my mom po? Uhm, it's Arlo po."

"Arlo?"

"Opo, VP Ganda. Please tell my mommy I called po ha? My yaya is asking me to ligo na eh. Babye!"

"Oh okay. Bye, Arlo."

"I miss you na po. Visit mo po ako soon ha? Babye na po talaga," the kid replied then ended the call.