Chapter 1 - Expelled

Hope Mikaelson sat on her bed, staring at her belongings that lay scattered around her room. She had just been expelled from the Salvatore School for Young and Gifted, and she couldn't say she was surprised. She had gotten several warnings over the past two years, and the fire in her wing of the boarding school was just the last straw.

But Hope wasn't angry. She knew she had brought this upon herself. She didn't even recall any fire, but apparently, her dorm was the only one undamaged from the fire. It must have been the boundary spell that kept it safe, though she didn't know how the effects of the boundary spell could have been reversed.

She sighed heavily and began to pack her things, her mind wandering as she worked. She had been experimenting with advanced and dangerous spells to contact her dad again. It had been two years since she had seen him, heard from him. She had seen the side of him that everyone else saw. The side that was written about in the book Klaus Mikaelson: The Great Evil. Ever since that day, her dad had cut all communication with her, and she was desperate to find a way to break through.

She had even tried to do an astral projection to her dad again, but there was some spell around him that prevented her from doing so. He must have gotten some witch to do it for him. And so she had tried everything to break through, including the dangerous spell that had caused the fire.

Now, she was paying the price for her troubles. Hope was ready to accept the consequences from the start. She had thought she might feel some sadness about having to leave the school, but she didn't. The pain of missing her dad was so intense that nothing else seemed to matter.

As she continued to pack her belongings, Hope couldn't shake the feeling that something else awaited her. She had always felt like she was meant for something more, something beyond the walls of the Salvatore School.

With a sense of determination, she hefted her bags and made her way out of the dorm room. She didn't know where her journey would take her, but she was ready for whatever lay ahead. As she walked down the halls of the school for the last time, Hope knew that this was only the beginning of her adventure.

Hope had sat beside her mom in the car, both of them silent, the whole ride back to her family's compound in New Orleans. The atmosphere was heavy with unspoken words, and Hope could tell that her mom was upset about the expulsion. But there was something else too, something that Hope couldn't quite put her finger on.

As they pulled up to the gate of the Mikaelson compound, Hayley finally spoke up. "I tried to talk to Mr. Saltzman," she said softly. "But he was adamant that you had to leave. He said it was for the safety of the other students."

Hope nodded, not trusting herself to speak.

"Please tell me," her mom asked. "Why did you do it?"

Hope's eyes darted to her mom's face, and she could see the concern etched on her features. She took a deep breath before responding. "I was trying to contact Dad," she said quietly. "I know it was stupid, but I couldn't help myself. I just wanted to hear his voice, to know that he was okay."

Hayley's expression softened, and she reached over to squeeze her daughter's hand. "I understand," she said softly. "But you have to be more careful, Hope. You can't keep putting yourself in danger like this. Or others."

Hope nodded, feeling guilty for causing her mother so much worry. She knew that she needed to be more responsible, especially if she ever hoped to see her dad again. "I'll try," she said quietly.

As they got out of the car, Hayley turned to her daughter with a sad smile. "You'll have to continue your schooling at home. There aren't any other schools in America for supernaturals."

Hope's heart sank at her mother's words. "What about the other school?" Hope asked hopefully. "The school for witchcraft and wizardry. What was it called again? Ilvermorny?"

"Hope, you know they won't take you," her mom said, as she paused at the stairs.

"Why?" Hope asked. "You never told me why I couldn't go there."

"Look. I'm not entirely certain of the details, but it has something to do with the deal our family has with MACUSA."

Hope sighed, feeling a sense of disappointment wash over her.

As they walked into the house, Hope's aunts greeted her warmly, hugging her tightly and asking her how she was doing. Hope tried to put on a brave face, knowing that they were all worried about her.

Over the next few days, Hope settled into a routine of studying magic with her mother and aunts, learning everything from potion-making to spell-casting. It was a lot of work, but she was determined to make the most of it, knowing that she needed to continue her education if she ever wanted to see her dad again. She was determined to rid the dark magic that plagued her family, which made it impossible for them to be in the same room as one another.