Chapter 2 - The Letter

It had been two months since she had been expelled. Her mom had somehow convinced Mr Saltzman to let her complete the school year, even though she wouldn't be attending the classes. She had caught up on everything in the syllabus and had taken the exams online.

The summer holidays had begun and Hope had returned to trying to find a way to reunite with her father. It was getting her nowhere. He was still protected against her magically contacting him. She had even tried to just send a note to him using translocation magic.

She was pacing in her room to think of something, anything. "Hope," came the voice from across the room. Hope was startled at the sound. She had been so focused that she didn't even notice someone had entered her room.

Hope turned to her mom. "Mom! Sorry, I didn't see you come in."

"It's fine, Hope. But I've been wanting to speak to you."

"Ya, sure."

"I think you should stop trying to contact your dad," she said as she sat beside her on her bed. Hope made to pull away, not wanting to have a discussion on this topic, but Hayley caught both her hands in hers before she could. "No, Hope. You need to listen. You have been so focused on getting in touch with your dad that you are ignoring everything else. You have been doing one dangerous spell after another for the past two years, And you got yourself expelled from school."

"But I miss him," Hope said, on the verge of tears.

"I know, Hope. But your father is just... afraid. Afraid of having to face what he did in your presence. He just needs -"

"What about me? I keep hoping for him to show up, to explain what I saw. Or at least apologize. I don't care what he needs!" Hope couldn't keep it in any longer and she was sobbing.

Hayley pulled Hope into a tight embrace. "I know, Hope," she said, her voice soft and comforting. "But you know how your father is. He'll talk to you when he's ready. Just remember that your father loves you very much. Promise me you'll stop being reckless with your magic. You have a lot more to learn. And once you're capable enough, I know you'll be able to break the curse separating us. Until then, you have to be strong. You have to be a Mikaelson."

Hope nodded, tears streaming down her face. Hayley released her from the embrace and stood up, walking over to where Hope had been working on her spells. "Now, put these away and come downstairs. Be with your family."

"Okay," Hope replied, wiping her tears away and taking a deep breath.

As Hayley left the room, Hope put away her magic books and spells, realizing that her mother was right. She had been too focused on finding her father and had neglected her own safety and training. She needed to focus on becoming a more powerful witch and being there for her family.

She walked downstairs to the living room where her family was gathered, only to find Freya and Keelin playing a board game. They welcomed her to join them, and for the first time in a long time, Hope felt at peace. She knew that she still had a lot to learn about magic and about herself, and she still missed her dad, but for now, she was grateful for the love of her family and the time to just be with them.

Hope was jolted awake by the sound of tapping on the window. It was an owl, pecking at the glass with its beak. Irritated, she got up to shoo it away but then noticed that it had a letter in its beak. As she took the letter from the owl, she noticed the familiar seal of Hogwarts on the envelope.

Hope was surprised. She had never expected to receive an acceptance letter from the prestigious school all the way across the ocean. She had heard of it, of course, but it had always seemed like a distant dream. Hope couldn't believe her eyes as she opened the letter, her heart racing with excitement and anticipation.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Miss Mikaelson,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

P.S. Given your unique circumstances, we understand that you may prefer to use your last name as Marshall. Please indicate your preference in your reply owl.

Hope squealed in delight. She couldn't believe it. She just got her Hogwarts letter.

"MOM!" she cried, as tears threatened to burst from her eyes. Hayley was instantly at her side, eyes searching everywhere for a threat, not caring she had knocked a vase while speeding to Hope.

"What is it?" she asked, concerned for her daughter. "What happened?"

"Mom! I just got accepted at Hogwarts."

"What?" Hayley seemed lost as to what she was talking about. "What do you mean you got accepted at Hog-"

She cut herself off as she saw the letter in her daughter's hand and the now broken seal of Hogwarts on the envelope. Her hands slowly moved to cover her open mouth.

The commotion had stirred awake Freya and Keelin, who had also fallen asleep in the living room as the family had stayed together well into the night.

"What is all the noise?" groaned Freya, still groggy from sleep.

"Aunt Freya! I just got accepted at Hogwarts! Can you believe it?"

"What," exclaimed Freya, as she quickly snatched the letter from her hands, sleep disappearing into nowhere. "Reply by owl?" She looked towards the window and saw the owl still waiting.

Keelin slowly got up and looked at the letter over Freya's shoulder. "Choice to change the last name? I thought Hogwarts had a strict policy about using your true name. And the magic to enforce it."

Freya thought about it for a moment. "They do have strict policy and the magic. I remember when I had tried to get in under a false name centuries ago, to get away from Dahlia."

"What happened?"

"You don't want to know. Let's just say I had willingly returned to Dahlia that time. Granted, it was a different time. But I doubt Hogwarts has changed much over the years."

"Then why," Hayley asked.

"I reckon, your father might have something to do about it," Freya said as she turned to Hope.

"My dad got me into Hogwarts," Hope asked, on the verge of tears.

"I don't think, even your father has that kind of power. Especially, considering who the headmaster is. But Klaus knows him or knew him, I don't know. He must have figured you might be getting the letter, and got ahead of the problem, as always."

"Why? Does he not want me to use his name? Is he that disappointed in me?"

"No, Hope. But you know what using his name does to you. After all you had to go through at the Salvatore School, I think he wanted you to have the choice of a normal life."