Chapter 10 - Impediment

"Damn it!" Hope screamed as the magic exploded in her face. Beside her, her snake Tenebris hissed at her angrily once she recovered herself from the impact. "I know! I shouldn't've mixed the raw magic with that bubbling potion, but in my defense, how was I supposed to know for sure it would blow up? No one has ever tried to make transfiguration magic like this."

Tenebris hissed again and jumped right at her face. Hope jumped up and sidestepped her before she hit her.

"Alright, fine! You might have told me. But even you-"

The snake hissed at her and pointed at the mess of magic with her tail.

"Okay, okay! You can sense magic. You win! Now, can you please help me clean up?" Hope said as she started to gather her grimoire and the ingredients for her potion. Tenebris hissed at her and slithered away.

Hope gathered her things on the floor and swiped away the mess with a flick of her wand. She didn't need to use her wand, but she found herself using it more and more, especially after the incident with the twins and she didn't want to give anyone else any more reasons to want to research about her unusually powerful magic. She was grateful to the twins, however, as they hadn't done anything to expose her. And they had introduced her to the Room of Requirement, which she was now using to experiment with magic.

She walked over to the shelf and arranged her items on it. She had researched a lot about magic over the months, and with the catalog available in the Hogwarts library, she had reached further than she ever would have if she hadn't come to Hogwarts, even with help from her Aunt Freya. And the library at the Salvatore School? It was practically a joke compared to what she found here, especially in the restricted section, which she could access with ease thanks to the invisibility spell of the Gemini coven that she had learned from the Saltzman twins.

She had been researching ways to get rid of her family's curse, The Hollow, for real. She knew that The Hollow was once a Native American witch, named Inadu, who had created the seven werewolf bloodlines, at least two of which, Hope had descended from. The witch was so powerful that death itself had lost meaning to her, and she could never truly leave the land of the living even if her body was destroyed. What was worse was that it was her body that anchored her magic and once it was destroyed, she just grew in power considerably. Now, her family was keeping it caged, split inside their immortal bodies, to the four corners of the world so that it couldn't possess Hope to quench its unending thirst for power.

Hope had figured that it was the magic that was imbued in Inadu before her birth, that had twisted her and made her evil beyond comprehension. But what if she could alter the magic somehow? Would it be enough to get rid of its evil nature? Or at least make it so that The Hollow could actually move on from this world? That was why she was experimenting with transfiguration magic. But not what was taught in her Transfiguration lessons, though. No. What Professor McGonagall taught them, at least in their first year, were all temporary magic; magic that was tied to its caster and their core of magic, and would revert back to its original form given a chance. No. What she needed was the permanent kind; the kind that could create werewolves and bloodline curses that transcended generations; the kind that animagi like McGonagall had performed on themselves to allow them to shift appearances at will. She had found several books on the topic in the library, and one of the most advanced among them was how to become an Animagus, from the restricted section. But none of them could do what she needed to do, not even remotely. And so she was experimenting with all the knowledge she had gathered. If only she knew the magic that the Native American tribe had used to create The Hollow in the first place, everything would have been so much easier. But today, was another failure for her. It didn't get to her though. She had been at it for years now. She was only grateful that here, at Hogwarts, in the Room of Requirement, she could experiment without fear of hurting others or risking expulsion, as that was the need that the Room had fulfilled for her.