Chapter 7 - Take Flight

Hope's first day of classes was eventful, to say the least. Even though it was just a normal first day for everyone else; for her, it was a disaster considering the fact that she was already on her path of exposure of her identity. It became more evident the next morning, as Hermione had already left the dorm by the time Hope had woken up, probably already at the library. Hope got dressed and went to the Great Hall for breakfast, wishing that Hermione would be there and that she was not in any danger of discovery. But her hope was misplaced.

That day, they had double Transfiguration with Slytherin in the morning. By the time she reached the classroom, Hermione had caught up with her, presumably, straight from the library. She didn't say anything and took a seat next to Hope at the front. Hope looked around the room. At least, no one else seems interested in me, she thought.

Professor McGonagall proceeded to call out names from the register. Fortunately, she didn't give any reaction at all to Hope's name. But she could see that Hermione was paying close attention. Great! Just Great.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall began. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

"You can use transfiguration to create objects, change an inanimate object to animate and back," she said, changing her desk into a pig, "or even change yourself." She made herself into a tabby cat and back. Everyone was impressed. Hope, however, thought of her werewolf side, which once activated, would break every bone in her body to change back and forth. This was nothing in comparison, just another spell.

They began the class by practicing transfiguration between a match and a needle since small and inanimate objects were the easiest to transfigure. Hope found it easy, owing to the fact that she was a descendent of the Original Witch, and had extreme power in her veins. Hope was surprised, however, when the only other person to make any difference was Hermione, who was a muggle-born, with no magical heritage, which could only mean that her magical aptitude was just too high, like her thirst for knowledge. McGonagall was impressed by their performance and awarded five points to Hope, and another point to Hermione.

The next lesson was double Charms and this time, fortunately for Hope, she hadn't become a center of attention.

After lunch, they had their first flying lesson. This was another lesson that Hope had been looking forward to. The Gryffindors marched down the sloping lawns towards a smooth lawn on the opposite side of the grounds to the Forbidden Forest, whose trees were swaying darkly in the distance to the slight breeze across the ground. The skies were clear, a good day, it seemed, for this lesson.

The Slytherins were already there, and so were broomsticks for every one of them, lying in neat lines on the ground.

Their teacher, Madam Hooch, arrived. She had short, grey hair and yellow eyes like a hawk. Perhaps, she was a hawk, like McGonagall being a tabby cat, thought Hope.

"Well, what are you all waiting for?" she barked. "Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up."

Hope glanced down at her broom. It was old and some of the twigs stuck out at odd angles.

"Stick your right hand over your broom," called Madam Hooch, "and say, 'Up!'"

"UP!" everyone shouted.

Hope's broom jumped into her hand at once, but it was one of the few that did. Harry had gotten his as well. Hermione's had simply rolled over on the ground.

Madam Hooch then showed them how to mount their brooms without sliding off the end, and walked up and down the rows, correcting their grips.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard," said Madam Hooch. "Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle - three - two -"