Side Tracks 4

The start of the next week was fun. Lilit joined in a couple more classes with the siblings, making new friends in each class. Her favorite so far were the ones about the histories of Hell and the demons. It was hard, however, trying to remember everything since she couldn't take any notes to review later, but she figured it wouldn't hurt to just take the classes again until she could commit the lessons to memory.

The ghouls continued their rotating chores, one always staying with Annie while Copia was at work. Mountain was forever doing something or another in the gardens, weather permitting, but it was still too cold and frozen for Lilit to help him yet. He seemed to redouble his efforts to spend as much time as he could with her when he was free after the kiss they shared. He'd had a sample of her and a part deep within wanted more, to take her in his arms and feel her lips against his once more, but he couldn't get past the nervous fears that he would somehow, accidentally, hurt her.

Tonight, he had something special planned, though. Something he hoped she would enjoy and his heart hammered with the anticipation of it all. He'd had his friends help set everything up. He wanted it to be perfect, even if he was the only one who could see it. That was another thing he was still trying to get used to. He wanted to do so much for her, show her so much, but she would never be able to see it. He loved her nonetheless, though, and he would still go out of his way to make everything perfect.

Mountain halted mid step, his eyes widening as his breath caught with the realization. Stumbling back he turned to lean against the wall, head pressed back against the stone as he closed his eyes. Was that really how he felt? He hardly knew her, having only met her not even two weeks ago, but deep within, he knew. From the first time he saw her, bloodied and dirty, clinging to life in the frozen forest he knew. What was going on with him?

"Hey, Goliath?" A voice sounds from his left and he cracks open his eye, peering down at the source. "You good up there?"

"Yeah, fire ant. I'm.... I'm fine. What's up?"

Dew seethed at the nickname and gave the taller ghouls arm a punch. "Are you nervous about tonight or something?"

Mountain sighs and slides down against the wall until he is sitting on the floor, crossing his arms across the tops of his bent knees as he rests his forehead against them. "Not just that. I'm a nervous wreck in general when it comes to anything with her and...I just..."

Dew looks at his friend with worry before crouching down next to him. "You're not backing out of this, are you? I will personally kick your ass if you do."

"You'd fall on your own ass trying," Mountain lets out a soft laugh, turning his head to look at his friend. The amusement in his eyes quickly fades and he sighs again. "No, I'm not backing out. Everything is set up. I just want it to be perfect."

Dew huffs and turns, flopping down to sit cross legged next to his friend with a grunt. "So, spill. What's going on in that moss brain of yours?"

"I..." he starts before sighing. "I don't know."

"Bullshit."

Mountain shakes his head, moving his arms to wrap around his head as he sighs. "It's just... a lot. You know?"

Dew rolls his eyes and swipes out at his friend's arm once more. "Spit it out. We don't have all day to sit here and sulk about."

"I think I love her."

Silence. Something not common to come from the feisty fire ghoul. Mountain felt his face heat up as he slowly turned his head to look at him, seeing Dews eyes are wide and shining with amusement.

"Is that it?"

"What do you mean 'is that it'? It feels like I've been punched in the gut. I'm reeling over here and that's all you can say?" He was annoyed now, his hands starting to tremble.