Chapter 1

A/N: This is an idea that I haven't seen explored yet, so I took it upon myself.

Remember:

There is always room for happy endings.

Coerced into Altruism in the Dungeon

On a day with slight rain, Eli was atop a very tall building.

Just as the small drizzle continued to patter on his form, the wind also beat at his face, yet both chills still felt pleasant. He was initially concerned it would affect what he came up here to do, yet it never picked up. Despite the weather however, the sky was not overcast. The sun was still out there, looming in the distance. He took solace in the fact that the only thing surrounding him was this warm glow, the wind's whispering wails, as well as the gentle rhythmic taps of the sky's downfall, almost melodic if he listened at just the right times. He closed both eyes, enjoying the sense of nothingness all around him as he waited. At the corner of his mouth, he inhaled one last puff of smoke from his cigarette, before spitting it off to the side. The moisture was ruining it anyway. Breathing in through his nose, he let a state of calm soothe his entire being.

His eyes darted to the watch affixed to his sleeve. It was nearly time, he noted, looking through the clear lens of the top-of-the-line scope he had purchased in advance for this job. He played with the dial on the side, slowly zooming closer and closer amidst the sudden influx of blurry figures moving about. It was 200 meters, give or take. It wasn't his largest distance, not even close, but it was still certainly one that required his utmost concentration. His finger eased onto the metal with familiarity, and he held it there, steadying his breaths even further, the sway that affected the subtly red crosshair stopping on a singular form amidst many—the brown receding hairline of a man amicably shaking hands on a wide-open stage.

Smile, shake, look away. That repeated, and the amount of people around him began to lessen.

Unfortunately for his target, that dwindling number was also the countdown he had to live.

Five.

Four.

Three.

Two.

On the final person, the smiling man looked elsewhere for a spell, performing a paltry wave. Overcome by his own curiosity, Eli looked as well, spotting two figures at the back of the stage, a woman and child. The younger bounced up and down excitedly, while the woman smiled back warmly. That made him... a little guilty for what he was about to do, but it wasn't nearly enough to change his mind.

"Sorry not sorry. It's 500K we're talking about..." His low mutter carried, just as the man reached to shake the final hand. Look. Smile. Shake. Drop. Walk away. The last remaining person vacated from the three-centimeter margin that was Eli's rule. Right as this happened, his body tensed, but in a complete state of control. He released the breath that would accompany the decisive pressure needed for the sniper bullet to be sent careening into an oblivious brain. At the same time, elation like never before rose in his chest, and he couldn't help but grin.

He loved this part.

"You're dead."

A loud sound wrenched through the air.

His shot went way off target, and the wooden scaffolding holding up the grand red curtains of the stage exploded, the velvet cloth falling onto thousands of startled people who were now screaming in a panic. The vigorous celebrations marking yet another year of the mayor in office were ruined completely. It was an act of terror, and yet no one died.