A New Investigation

"Are you okay, Fujihime?"

Fujihime's father was accused of murdering Madame Pomegranate. Fujihime was badly shaken, so we've brought her to a guest room to rest.

"I'm fine. Please allow me to assist in the investigation." Fujihime says, wiping her tears with her sleeve.

"Don't push yourself, Fuji-chan. This has been very difficult for you." Tenho says, folding his arms and leaning on the wall.

"Tenho...Do you trust father?"
"I only trust evidence. If the evidence shows that he's the real murderer, I won't hesitate to arrest him."

"Tenho..." Fujihime says, tearing up again.

I shake my head. "Did you have to say it like that, Tenho?" I turn towards fujihime. "Don't worry Fujihime. We'll do everything we can to protect your father's innocence. Leave the investigation to us!"

"I... thank you Mangetsu..."

Tenho and I continue our conversation in the corridor.

"This incident doesn't involve you. You should return to Ki-Ya." Tenho says in a threatening tone.

"No. I promised Fujihime I would help. Besides, I owe her."

"You're rather abnormal for a yokai, you know?" Tenho says, sighing as he continues speaking. "Do as you please, then. The cause of Madame Pomegranates death was a poison by the name of Solemn tears."

I think for a moment.
"You mentioned that poison has a particular smell. Can you describe it?" I ask.

He folds his arms. "It smells like lilies."
"Okay, that gives us a starting point for our investigation."

"Our investigation? Does that mean your tagging along with me?"

"Actually let's split into two teams. It worked last time, so why not this time? I'll work with Yuta this time since it worked last time."

"Alright. Let me know if you find anything."

After Tenho leaves, Tou opens his eye.
"The human is finally gone!" Tou says.

"Yes. Good job holding your tongue, Tou!"

Tou has been feeling rather hostile toward Tenho ever since Tenho stepped on him.

"Of course Lady Mangetsu! I don't want to cause trouble for you!"

I place my hands over my heart. "You've finally grown up!"

"That's right! I'm much more grown up than that silly goldfish!"

Great. Here we go again.

I carry Tou back to our guest room.

"We're back Yuta-"

I pause.

"Yuta?"