Asking Questions

"I finally understand what happened that day..."

"What is it, Lady Mangetsu?" Tou asks.

"Mr. Tetsuhito's apprentice burst in when we were checking on Mr. Tetsuhito. Do you remember what he said when he entered the room?" I ask.

"Of course! That silly human yelled 'Mr. Tetsuhito is dead!' The moment he stepped in! I was so angry at him because he hadn't even seen anything yet!!" Tou yells, puffing up his cheeks in frustration.

"That's right. How did he know Mr. Tetsuhito was dead the second he entered the room? The room was dark. We only realized Mr. Tetsuhito was dead because we were next to him. But the apprentice knew immediately. That means he already knew Mr. Tetsuhito was dead!" I explain, everyone looking at me shocked.

"So Mr. Tetsuhito's apprentice  is the true culprit!"

"It's too early to say that for certain. But he definitely knows something."

"You saw right through his tricks so quickly! You're so smart!"

"But of course. Kitty's the best." Yuta says, winking at me.

Yuta obviously knew this before I did, but he chose not to say anything. He guides me toward the truth instead of outright telling me. He's helping me impress my minions, how sweet.
With Yuta's help, the investigation went a lot smoother than I'd expected. We've found an important clue. I'm sure it'll lead us to the true culprit in no time.

"Let's go visit our new suspect."

We're leaving the shop when I see momo still lying on the floor.

"Quit acting, silly goldfish! We're leaving!" Tou yells.

Momo stays silent.

"Are you alright momo?" I ask.

"It's so dry here...I'm dehydrated..."

Momo flops weakly on the floor. Her scales have lost their usual luster. She looks so pale she might faint in a matter of seconds.

"It hasn't rained in a while. Goldfish yokai can't survive too long without water." Yuta says, taking a bag of water out of my pocket.

"Momo, turn into a goldfish and get into the bag!"

"The human realm isn't suitable for us yokai. Why don't we-"

"Yuta."

I glare at Yuta. He quickly changes the subject.

"I mean, why don't we find the culprit so we can reopen Ki-Ya as soon as possible?"

I pat Yuta on the shoulder. "That's more like it. Let's go."

There are wanted posters with my portrait on every corner of the street. I can't show my face in public anymore.

"If Mr. Tetsuhito's apprentice comes to work every day, someone must know where he lives. But I'm a wanted suspect, I can't just waltz in and start asking questions." I tell Yuta.

"There's always the usual method. If you can't ask humans, then ask the yokai!"

"I've got someone in mind. Thank you Yuta." I say, running off.

I spotted many yokai lurking in the city when I went out with Tou. I was particularly interested in one of them.
I walk towards a giant Maneki-Neko statue, raising my head to greet it.

"Good day."

"Meow! How dare a mere human such as you speak to the great lucky cat! Seems like you humans have forgotten how terrifying yokai can be! I'll make sure you never forget-"