Secret of the dead

"Can somebody tell me what's going on?! You mean Mr. Tetsuhito's lover is the painting yokai attached to the scroll he rented from Ki-Ya?! And you still expect me to believe you had nothing to do with Mr. Tetsuhito's murder?"

"Believe me, Tenho, I'm as surprised as you are. The whole reason why I was looking for Mr. Tetsuhito was because the scroll he rented was overdue, but I never expected to fine this painting yokai here at the temple he's been visiting..."

"Care to explain yourself, painting yokai?" Yuta says, giving her a death stare.

"I.... i...."

"Did the blacksmith imprison you here when he discovered you were a yokai?" I ask.

"No, Lady Mangetsu. I... I chose to stay here out of my own volition..."

"Is it because you fell in love with Mr. Tetsuhito?"

"You were his lover, weren't you?" Yuta says, folding his arms. He looks coldly at the painting yokai.

Seeing Yuta's anger, the painting yokai immediately kneels humbly before him.

"No, Master Nine-Tails! We didn't have that kind of relationship, I swear!"

"Then what made you decide to stay?" He growls.

"Let me guess. You seduced the blacksmith and stole his money?" Tenho says.

"No! I didn't harm anyone! I just... I just wanted to help Mr. Tetsuhito fulfill his greatest wish!"

"His greatest wish? What are you talking about?" I ask.

"I.... I can show you. Please follow me into the temple..."

We follow the yokai into the temple. Immediately, we realize the reason she stayed.

"Miss yokai!"

We enter the temple and notice a group of children huddled in the corner. They gather around us once they notice the painting yokai.

"You disgust me, yokai. To think you would kidnap this many children." Tenho says angerly.

I didn't kidnap them! These orphans were adopted by Mr. Tetsuhito!"

"Orphans? All of them?"

I do a quick head count. There are atleast 15 children here. The children are think and dressed in torn up clothing.

"Who are these people, Miss Yokai?"

The yokai bites her lip.

"They're... They're my friends..." she says.

"Hey! That paper bird is flying!"

The children excitedly reach out and try to grab the talisman bird Tenho cast on me.

"Paper birds are fun, aren't they? If you ask nicely, that old guy over there will give you one!" Yuta says to the children, giving a sly grin.

"Mister! We want more paper birds!"

"Who are you calling old guy?! Hey! One at a time, kids-"

The children pounce on Tenho, who has no choice but to distribute talisman birds to them. Once they were all distributed, he cast a spell on them.

"Soar!"

"Oh! Amazing! They're really flying!" The children yell as paper birds fly everywhere. Tenho's spell causes the talisman birds to fly into the temple Courtyard, the children excitedly running after them

Yuta snickers. "At least your parlor tricks are good for entertaining children. Have you considered changing professions?"

"Shut it, fox. I won't forget you said that."