Chapter Fifteen

Over Yonder - Keegan

Keegan smiled at the shock on Namid's face, holding his shield against the attacks with a single hand. "Oh come now, brother. You didn't think I'd leave you to finish this alone?"

The brilliant orange shield he held garnered attention from everyone except Cahya and Danika. When the last, Ming Yue, gawked in his direction, Keegan raised his hand, smirked, and snapped his fingers.

A vivid, shimmering light appeared on Ming Yue's left, drawing Craeu's attention. It sparkled like a jewel caught in the sunlight, glowing as it expanded. When it reached the size of a portal, bits of iridescence floated upward to disappear like sparks above a campfire. The center popped open, revealing its purpose.

Caye stepped through the portal, the delightful violet hued spirit he had just been reunited with. She smiled at him from across the arena, her violet energy weapon already summoned, and stepped aside for three other warriors to emerge: Imala, Ranay, and Vita.

"You take care of the elementals," Keegan instructed with a glance to Namid. "We'll handle Craeu."

His shield dropped as he advanced, whirling past the water elemental like it didn't exist. His sister approached at a similar speed, and he knew he had finally come home. He cupped his hands. Caye planted her toes in the offered boost, and he twirled as he launched her skyward to attack Craeu from above. He hadn't executed this move since she died, and feeling her toes against his fingers felt so comforting that he felt silly for acknowledging it.

He turned toward Craeu and placed a dome above his own head and shoulders. As Caye's favorite dart weapons rained down from above, he pelted the demon's stomach and chest from below with little pucks of energy of the opposite wavelength. They knew each other in the way that he knew Danika, that he had hoped she would one day understand him. But that was behind him now. He was with his sister, and all was right with the world.

Or it would be once they defeated Craeu.

Imala and Ranay took the left and right sides of the demon respectively, and Vita took up position behind. They had discussed this in the brief time he had been on their side. This had been a plan among the four, a means to save the living and finally destroy Craeu. The link with Nanami had let them see, listen, and prepare, but they had lacked a way forward. His link with Danika had been purposeful, Ranay had explained as she filled him in. If something happened to him, they would get here through her.

They hadn't expected him to die, hadn't expected the shields to block their way. But now that it had happened, now that they had a way back, thanks to Namid's kitsune friend's assistance, their plan was in motion: bombard Craeu with so many projectiles that he couldn't harass the living because he was under so many attacks from the dead.

Caye landed on her feet near Vita just as Namid and Sumiko attacked the water elemental from both sides. Instead of launching attacks at it, they drew energy from the element and made it their own. Freya bless the foolish summoner, he chuckled. Namid and Sumiko had been born under water signs; Astrid, Irem, and Cahya were airs; Deza and Maylin were fires. They could draw the energy straight from the elementals, providing they could concentrate enough on the task.

As Vita launched Caye again, Ranay threw piercing needles and Imala launched stones from her favorite sling. Keegan dared a smile. They could do this. They could win. Then he would join his sister in the glorious afterlife he had waited on for so long.

All because he had jumped in to save Cahya from his own stupidity. 

~*****~

Over Yonder - Sumiko

Sumiko's dance stopped mid-step when Keegan appeared. It wasn't too surprising, considering where the battle took place, but it still caught her off guard to see him again so soon. The smile on his face when he snapped his fingers almost made her wish she had accepted his offers while he still lived. When the portal opened and the others poured out, friends and loved ones long dead, she forced her gaping mouth to close again.