10. OCTOBER

*strong language throughout

ANDIE is alone in the kitchen, reading, waiting for the kettle to boil. Turning the page of her book, she gives herself a paper cut. She gasps. 

Andie: Shit.

Immediately, she puts her finger in her mouth, closing her book and moving towards the sink. Running her finger under the tap, she winces. The kettle starts to whistle. ANDIE turns to fetch it but as she reaches she falters, instead having to catch the back of the chair and lowering herself to the ground before she faints entirely.

In the blackout, we hear the voices of medical personnel.

M1: One month, minimal sign of brain activity.

M2: She's still in here

M1: Partially

M2: Docs said to give it more time.

M1: I don't know.

ANDIE flutters and wakes on the floor of the Blythe kitchen. Holding her head in her hands she starts to beat the floor with her fist.

Andie: Yes, please, give me more time - I'm trying. I'm trying. 

Shuffling backwards, she leans against the wall, crying. After a while, there is a knock at the door. ANDIE slowly stands, trying to straighten herself out, before opening it. ANNE, RUBY and DIANA are stood there.

Diana: Good afternoon, Miss Norman.

Andie: Ruby, Anne, Diana. Good afternoon. How may I help you?

Diana: I do hope we're not intruding.

Andie: No intrusion, I was just...reading.

Ruby: Is Gilbert here?

Andie: Uh, no, Gilbert is running an errand at the moment.

RUBY seems very disappointed.

Anne: No matter, Gilbert is not the reason we're here.

Ruby: He's the reason I'm here.

Diana: Ruby!

Andie: Uh would you girls like to come in for tea?

Anne: That won't be necessary. We've come to invite you. Since we know you are an avid reader and an exceptional story-teller, we were wondering if you'd like to join our club. The Avonlea Story Club, to be precise.

Andie: Oh, how lovely.

Diana: It was Anne's idea. Isn't it wonderful? Each week, or whenever you can, we will meet and write stories and discuss ones we've read.

Anne: It hopes to be exceptionally creative.

Andie: It sounds wonderful. I'd be happy to join. My days are rather idle at the moment, I help out when I can but I just keep fainting...my uncle thinks I'm doing it on purpose to shirk from working.

Ruby: Does he truly?

Andie: No, I was only joking. When and where will these meetings take place?

Anne: Well, we're going to have the first now but you can always join us tomorrow, say 3pm in the woods?

Andie: In the woods.

Anne: Oh, we should say...we'd like to keep this club a secret please. We discussed it and wanted to invite you but you mustn't tell another soul.

Andie: A secret? How exciting.

Anne: So? Would you like to join?

Andie: I won't be able to come along today, my cousin and uncle will be suspicious but tomorrow!