2014

*themes of grief and death of loved ones

Medical beeping, rushed breathing and panic sounds. The sounds seep into the background and are taken over by the sound of cars. 

The night ANDIE was hit by the car. ANDIE is being jostled by a crowd, as before, her phone gets knocked onto the road but rather than diving for it, a strong hand pulls her back to standing. She blinks, looking around disorientated.

She turns to a modern-day ELIJAH who is talking to her but she can't hear his words. Suddenly it's like the radio has been tuned correctly. 

Andie: What?

Elijah: One of those bastards who drive too fast. Are you alright?

Andie: You...you pulled me back.

Elijah: I didn't want your blood on my hands.

ANDIE looks at her phone. It's been crushed.

Andie: Shit.

Elijah: Your phone's dead...do you...you can borrow mine if you need to make a call?

Andie: No...no, thanks. I'll just – uh – get the train.

Elijah: I'm also getting a train.

They start to walk together, ANDIE looks up tentatively.

Andie: Uh – can I know the name of my rescuer.

Elijah: Eli.

Andie: Eli.

Elijah: And you are?

Andie: Lucky you were there.

Elijah: Weird name. Shall I call you 'Lucky' for short?

Andie: Ha. You can call me Andie.

Elijah: Andie. Did no one ever tell you to look both ways when crossing the road?

Andie: They did but they also told me to wait for the green walking man and that dude was green so -

Elijah: So not your fault. God. You are lucky I was there.

They get to the station and look at the boards.

Where you headed?

Andie: Platform fifteen.

Elijah: I feel bad...I can't just leave you phoneless, stranded at a train station.

Andie: You can't follow me home. 

Elijah: I know, but what if you get pushed onto the tracks or something wild? How would I feel about that?

Andie: I mean, sad. Hopefully. Uh, maybe I could give you my phone number? I'll have to go pick up a new phone so might be a couple of days –

Elijah: I'll wait patiently for your text.

ANDIE smiles. ELIJAH hands him his phone and she plugs the number in. After she hands it back, they stare at each other.

Andie: You remind me of someone.

Elijah: Really?

Andie: Yeah...it's so weird.

Elijah: Thank you for your assessment.