1 ~ ad inconvenienti

°~From an inconvenient thing~°

My day was started not like any other, in my little corner of relative peace.

This was the day the person I was born as, would die and a beast would emerge in her memory:

The people of my village always said I was a inconvenient thing.

Since I never met nor knew my family's name so I could never carry major honour as I grew up. I was raised by all of the village, but still an orphan nonetheless.

Not that I minded that is. I was always fed and clothed by the people of the village. How I wouldn't have ever guessed that this would later bite me in the ass of my future. Living in that village made me blissfully unaware of the world around me.

A 14 year old girl was gathered water from the well, hoping to catch a meal at the village's elders house tonight. Every day this is what I did. Running errands for the town's folk and in return they'd give me meals every night and morning.

This was absolutely fine,since the other girls in the village didn't know what it was to work or fear for a piece of bread each day. Which didn't make me popular amongst my peers back then.

I carried the bucket and called out, seeing the aunt's sturdy boy come running up the road. "Hey! I told you not to carry anything heavy! It'll make your muscles bulk and then you'll be even more unpopular."

Chuck,my closest friend and my unwanted voice of reason grunted at me. I rolled my eyes and lifted the large bucket easily to my face.

"Maybe they want to look like the wind could push them over with a hard blow,who knows? And good morning to you too Chuck."

Chuck only grunted and took the bucket,his round face squinted as he frowned at me. I only shrugged. It was no use trying to persuade these folk. Too set in their ways I guess.

We started to walk up the small stone path, enjoying the playful sounds of children playing.

" You're not going to catch a husband with that mindset y'know. Besides since you're the most beautiful girl in the village,so it's highly expected for to -"

"I am well aware of their yammering about that, since they want the priceless jewel of the village flaunted. Which is hilarious..."

I skipped a bit forward, my light brown hair bouncing around my shoulders as I spun and faced him again.

"I am the only orphan in this village and yet, they want to flaunt me as their perfect show pony. These people have double standards honestly "

I rolled my eyes and linked back up with Chuck, unamused. He sighed deeply before speaking with concern in his voice.

"Remember that they also feed you, gave you your own roof and clothing. You most certainly owe them for that. Remember that most people don't do things without a agenda or plan, and since your face is the agenda..
I suggest you get in line fast before they kick you into it."

My heart sank at his words, since he was always right. Since he was right about my face being the very thing people sought after, they'd most certainly use it. Didn't matter what my say was in the situation.

I still owed them and debts always needed to be paid in one form or another. As much as I hated it.

The day went by slowly after that, with helping the villagers with daily tasks. Though I had to admit to Chuck, at least the villagers didn't make it obvious that I was only there for one reason.

This is what Chuck meant with what he said earlier. About my face.
You see, I was from a early age an extremely beautiful girl. Since I could remember I was coddled and pruned because of it.

I remember Chuck telling me that the village was alot smaller before I came here as a toddler. It seemed that I was the village's good luck charm, much to my discomfort.

I sighed and leaned back against the wall. It didn't help to think about it so much, since it was rubbed in my face everyday. It was of no use.

"Evening dear!"

I looked up, seeing one of the old women waving at me. I smiled and got up, walking over to the table where the women sat at in the evenings.

"You should come over for dinner dear. I know you usually always go to the elder's house but perhaps you can join us this time?"

My heart sank to my feet. "I'm sorry Aunt Kat, but I was asked to eat at Chuck's house again. But perhaps another time? I am truly sorry though.."

The old woman shook her head and took my hand into hers. "No need dear. I know the elder prefers you to eat with them, no need to apologise."

I nodded my head gratefully and said farewell to her and the other women before slowly making my way to my run down barn whom was my home.
Yes, I lived in a barn. But it was my very own space.

I opened the large door and bolted the door from the inside. I looked through the hole and saw the women chattering, occasionally looking at my direction. Of course, I thought.

I'm always up for discussion on these people's lips.