2~ad epistulis

°~from the letters~°

I don't clearly remember the days after that day. Since in my later years I was diagnosed with PTSD and my memories was suppressed.
But believe me when I say that my past is a dark one.

It was late in the evening after the talk with the old women and Aunt, I climbed the old ladder up to my bed.
Living in the old barn had it's disadvantages, but it was my little fortress from judging eyes.

As I climbed up the ladder, I started to hear shouting from outside.
"Please! You cannot take her yet! She's not of age!"

"Silence woman! She's been kept here long enough in fact. You will hand her over or we will take her and the rest of the village's children along with her."

I frowned as I heard this, since the woman who shouted was the village elder's wife. With more shouting for a strong minute or so, it was suddenly extremely quiet. I could only hear the sound of my heart in my ears.

A single shot went off, like from a hand gun. And a woman's screams followed afterwards before another shot was fired.

And then something banged against my door hard. With a second bang, the door frame buckled and knocked the doors off their hinges. I screamed and nearly tripped as I climbed up the ladder, trying to get away from the assault.

I cowered behind my bed, trying desperately in vain to hide. I gripped my cowers as I saw lone man walking in, his heavy footsteps kicking up dirt. As he walked in, he suddenly stopped and gazed around.
I whimpered as the man spoke with a thunderous voice.

" Whomever lives in this building, I demand you show yourself before I decide to burn the entire village to the ground for making me wait. These people's lives are in your hands."

I shook violently as I tried to get up but my legs shaked too much. I tumbled as I tried to walk forward so I started to crawl. It was the only thing my body allowed me to do.

You see, fear is something like a hand to your heart. No matter how much you claw at it, it will choke you till you comply. I had a reason for fearing this man. A very good reason,even to this day.

I crawled to the edge of the platform, my vision blurry from the tears. I kept my head low and hoped whomever this was that I wasn't the person they were looking for. How utterly naive I was.

"Ahh, there she is! Men, bring her down. " The man thundered again and the footsteps rushed towards me. I cried out as I felt rough hands gripping my upper arms.

I kicked and screamed at the men, trying to scratch at the hands as they dragged me from the platform harshly.  I was dragged to my feet before being shoved onto my knees on the ground.

"P-please.. I n-n-not -"

"Shut up girl. Don't make me mad and don't say anything. I'm not finished yet." The man interrupted me, sounding irritated. Luckily I didn't speak after that, only wept softly.

The man called out in a language that was foreign to me, signalling alot of footsteps that started to circle me.
As I kept my head low, the men chattered loudly around me until the leader silenced them.

It was quiet for a moment, before the sound of paper filled the tension and the man spoke again in his booming voice:

"From the letters of the official law of the feudalist capital, you are commanded by the highest degree to serve under the will of the lords and their vassals. You are to train and serve a minimum of 5 years in the order of the Eight and will be assigned a codename for which you are to be named by until such day you breathe your last breath.

Any resistance to this order will resort to extreme violence and the slaughter of innocence until compliance. Do you accept these terms?"

My body shook uncontrollably, throat thick with fear. I didn't dare to look up, only down at the ground. I was praying for a miracle but I knew that my miracle wouldn't happen anytime soon.

A rough hand wrapped around my hair and yanked my head up painfully. I cried out, trying in vain to grab the hand behind my head.

"Your superior asked you a question girl! You don't keep him waiting, now answer!" One of the soldiers spat in my ear, gripping my hair even tighter.

It was now or never. These soldiers are known to kidnap and forcefully take their chosen targets to be trained. They killed without restraint and would burn down any settlement should it stand in their way.

I was afraid for my life. I was afraid for the innocent people around me, whose lives were in my hands at this very moment. So as my first selfless act, I answered my superior.

"Yes, I accept these terms."