Chapter 4: Missing Home

Liam, too, couldn't get Zayn out of his head, and he found himself daydreaming about the way Zayn's tattoos looked against his tanned skin.

"Liam?" Someone calls.

He snapped out of his thoughts. "Angela, sorry, hey."

"It's all good. Come on." She gestures towards her office. They walk to her office in silence. They get there, and once inside Liam goes straight to the window seat.

"Ok Liam. What's been on your mind?" She asks. "How's the sessions going?"

He knew the answer to first question. "Nothing much. I'm excited to finally get out of this place, it's a nightmare."

"Ah, come on it can't be that bad." She states in humor, grabbing her clipboard.

"Maybe not, but I don't see the point of me being here. All we do every day is talk about why we're here for, do we think we'll 'benefit' from being here. And listen to everyone act sad while they talk about it. It's all an act. It's useless." He states mocking what they talk about, but he know he'd listen to Zayn anytime no matter what.

"Well why don't you tell me why you think it's useless Liam." Angela's statement comes out more like a question.

"It just is." Liam answers shortly.

"Well, on the good note I heard you'll be out soon?"

Liam starts smiling, "Yeah, they say I have about a month. I'm pretty sure most people here have like a month."

"Well that's good. Are you excited to get back to family and friends?" Angela asks.

"Yeah. I miss my mom. I haven't heard from her in a while." Liam's voice softens. "But my sisters tells me she's doing ok so I shouldn't have anything to worry about."

"Is there anything else you want to talk about? You seemed pretty focused on something back there before I came." She raises he eyebrows in question.

Liam didn't feel embarrassed to share his thoughts. He never around her. He always liked Angela. Even though she's just his therapist, she always made him feel comfortable.

"You know the boy I've been telling you about?" Liam asks smiling.

"Yes, Zayn if I'm correct." She says interested.

"We'll I've finally talked to him." He tells shyly. "Well he talked to me. I kinda chickened out at the last moment, but then he started a conversation with me and I was surprised he'd even talk to-" his rant gets cut off.

"Hold on," Angela chuckles. "We probably shouldn't be off topic but because you're getting out soon and I won't talk to my favorite patient anymore, I'll give you a pass. So, how'd the conversation start?"

"Well, I noticed him getting coffee and I was going to talk to him. While i was getting my coffee, as I said I chickened out. But while grabbing a top for my cup, he noticed I had straight black coffee and commented on it." He paused his rant.

As he was going to continue, "Now, you never really told me Liam, do you like Zayn?" Angela asks.

He knows the answer to that, but doesn't want to sound stupid. They only just officially met. "No it's not like that. I- I don't know, I just think he's a cool person?" He fails to partially lie.

"Ok well what do you like about him?"

Liam tells her. Tells her everything he likes about Zayn. With probably more that he didn't share. Angela and Liam continue on about Zayn for a little bit, but eventually get back on topic and into what they were there for.

After he left from her office he's heading back to his room. Once he gets there he pulls out his phone and calls someone's. It took two rings and they answered.

The phone rings four times before they answered.

"Hello?" A scratchy voice answered.

"Mom?" Liam sighed with relief, hearing a voice he hadn't heard in so long.

"Liam? Is that you?" His mom's voice became clearer.

Liam took a deep breath. "Yeah, it's me. Uh, sorry I haven't called in so long."

"It's okay, Liam." his mom said, her voice warm and comforting. "But if anything, I'm the one who should be apologizing. Sorry Im I haven't called you in a while."

Liam felt a small smile form on his face. "It's okay, Mom. I just miss you guys so much.

"How are you doing? Are you okay?" She ask.

Liam hesitated for a moment before answering. He didn't want to burden his mom with his problems, but he also didn't want to lie to her. "I'm doing okay, I guess. It's been tough, but I'm managing."

His mom's voice became more concerned. "What's been tough? Is everything okay?"

Liam took a deep breath. "It's just been hard being away from everyone and everything I know. And the work is really confusing. I feel like I'm always on edge and I can't relax."

His mom's voice became more soothing. "I'm sorry to hear that, Liam. But you're strong. You can get through this. And just remember, we're always here for you. You're not alone."

Liam felt a sense of comfort wash over him. "Thanks, Mom. That means a lot to me."

His mom's voice became more playful. "Of course it does. I'm your mom, after all. Now, tell me all about what you've been up to. I want to hear everything."

Liam couldn't contain his excitement any longer and blurted out that he had finally spoken to Zayn. He had mentioned him to her a few times last month.

"Really? That's great news!" his mom said, happy for her son. "How did it go?"

"It was amazing, Mom," Liam said, his voice full of emotion. "Nothing much but you know, we just talked about childhood and where we're from stuff like that."

With a teasing voice his mom asked, "Is that all? You sound really hype."

Liam laughed."No, no it was short beacuse I had to meet with Angela, but I'm still glad we finally got the chance to talk."

"Well I wish the best for you Liam." His mom chuckles.

"Yeah, well enough about me, how's everyone?"

His mom's voice became softer. "Your dad is doing okay. He misses you a lot. Your sisters are doing good too."

He had missed them so much while he was away. "I wish I could be there with you guys. When I get out, I'm going to make it up to you. We'll all go somewhere together or something. I don't know I have to figure it out.

His mom's voice got sadder. "Liam, I don't want you to get your hopes up. It's not going to be easy for you to and when you come back home. You know that."

Liam felt a lump form in his throat. He knew his mom was right, but he couldn't help but feel disappointed. "I know, Mom. But I have to try. I can't keep coming upback here forever."

"I know, Liam. And we'll be here for you no matter what," his mom said, her voice filled with love and support.

Liam felt heaviness in his chest. He missed his family so much. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, Liam. Take care of yourself, and see you soon, okay?" his mom said.

"I'll talk to you soon," Liam said, trying to sound strong.

As he hung up the phone, Liam knew that he had a long road ahead of him, he couldn't wait to get back home.

__________

Share. Thanks.