Chapter 1

The house is deathly quiet. I've grown used to it being quiet though.

Nobody's ever home except me, but I like it this way. Nobody to disturb me, and I can't disturb anybody else.

It wasn't always like this, before my mother left. But when she did, she left a note saying that she couldn't stand living her life seeing as her life was a lie. She wasn't living the way she wanted to.

She didn't have her perfect daughter or son, and her husband was never home. She'd never wanted the responsibility of kids, and so her leaving was blamed on me seeing as my brother was already gone, and father didn't want to admit his part in her leaving.

So now he just works even more and when he does come home, he avoids me or yells at me how it's my fault everything is how it is now.

I try to ignore what he says, but I can only have my father continually telling me that it's my fault without having a seed of doubt planted in my head.

I used to have my brother to help me when my mother was still here, but he left to go fulfill his dream of being a rock star so I didn't get to talk to him much, and then one day I tried calling and his phone was disconnected.

I know who he is, so I could contact him easily, but I figured since he didn't try calling me to give me his new number, that he either forgot about me or stopped caring about his baby sister whom he'd left back in the crumbling ruins of a home.

It still makes me upset when I think about it, because he was my best friend and the only one who knew how hard my home life was because he was there and he had to deal with the same issues. The only difference was that he's older, and had a way to get out. I didn't.

He left the day he turned 18 leaving me behind with a promise to keep in contact with me through a phone he'd given me so our mother wouldn't be able to track him through my phone.

See, that's the sort of things she did. She was very controlling over us and we both hated it, but we obeyed her as much as we could. If we didn't obey her, she would punish us.

She never hit either of us, but she had invented cruel ways that fucked with our minds until we were begging and pleading with her to stop. We'd have to promise to do better.

When she found out that my brother left, she hit me for the first time. She knew that we were close and she knew that we'd keep in contact with each other.

She wanted answers and I wasn't giving her any that would help her find him. For the rest of that first week I stayed locked in my room, afraid she would try to hit me again.

I finally came out of my room because I was out of food and I had to go back to school sometime. When I went downstairs that day, nobody was home, so I stocked up on food and put them away in my rooms mini fridge and prepared to go to school the next day.

I remember that first day going back without my brother there to help ward off the bullys. I was already depressed and the bullying only got worse. I was only 15 and still a Freshman.

None of the teachers like me and my brother was my only friend since his friends didn't want to associate with the little sister. My only comfort was his car that he'd left so I would have a way to get to school since we lived about 30 minutes away driving distance.

That first day back I was called to the office and told I had detention for the last 2 months of school since nobody ever called me in sick. I only showed up once and I never went back because the teacher slept and I was free game to all the bullys.

My already fragile heart was bombarded with cruel and hateful comments that only brought me down even more.