noma

12 weeks to open.

"yo carm! the fridge guy" marcus throws the phone. carmen dodges it and it shatters to pieces on the floor "i'll call him back" i sigh given we were out of a phone now "you could have tried to catch that- sugar can you order a new phone please?" i ask as she grabs a pastry from the box.

"of course- also we're short on forks-" "there's no possible way we're short on forks" carmen rests his hands on his hips "this is exciting! let's talk about spoons next!" i pat carmen's shoulder before walking to the back "oh syd did you tell tina and ebra?" carmen, sydney and i came to the decision that sending then to culinary school was the best idea in the long run.  "yeah and it went over better than i expected. they actually should be there by now" she smiles "thanks syd" i smile.

i look to see richie waving me over "i don't know who wants to open it but we need too..." richie points to the lockers, mikey's locker specifically "i'll get carmen-" "i'm here. what's up?" he walks out of the office and sets his eyes on mine "the locker..." i point "here bear" fak hands him the electric tool to cut through the lock.

sparks fly up causing everyone to shield their eyes. the lock falls to the floor and the room starts to feel weighted, nobody knew what to expect. carmen quickly opens the locker.

a cap sits at the top shelf, a breathy laugh comes from carmen as he takes it out "june 5th 2010" he reads the date on the cap "the booth?" i ask sugar "the booth" she nods "that was really fun..." carmen's cheeks were a bit red. he hands richie the cap and taps him on the side a few times.

richie looks to me and sugar "yo, wanna work at the apartment?" carmen asks sydney and i "yeah" sydney and i grab our stuff and i grab the groceries from the walk in. carmen and i had moved into a new apartment, it wasn't anything special yet but we were getting there.

it was closer to the restaurant too so we're able to walk and save money given i wouldn't spend it on gas. sydney takes my bag from me as we walk into the apartment "thanks" i whisper. carmen helps me take the groceries and set them out on the counter. sydney walks over and starts pre heating the oven "wait-" she steps aside and i open the oven door.

i grab carmen's jeans and take them out of the oven "why?-" "i've known him since high school and i still don't know" i set the clothes to the side and look to syd "let's get started" i grab the green tape, taping it to the counter to label it. carmen hands me a pairing knife to cut the tape and place it on our deli containers.

i notice sydney looking behind me. i look back to see mine and carmen's chef whites i had found while we were moving. they both had our initials knitted into the cuff of the sleeve
"i-" a laugh leaves my lips. carmen laughs too "really?" sydney asks "wasn't our idea but... it was new york... so" i shrug "yeah... i wanna hate it-" "trust me i wanted to hate it too" i hand sydney a few of the containers.

i could feel carmen's eyes on me just for a second before he walks over to the clear board with many ideas written down "so uh, veal chop demi-glace?" carmen asks "yeah" i nod "i was thinking a hamachi crudo but... i don't know-" "we need something like that, that's good" i tell sydney.

she hands me the expo marker. i write down 'cherry cola braised short rib and risotto' sydney outwardly laughs "fuck you" she nudges me "cant forget the dish that kinda almost started all of  this-" "it did not and you're like giving me way too much credit" carmen smiles as we go back and forth about the dish.

after some time we get started on fresh pasta. i crack the eggs in and mix the dough into a shaggy mess before giving it to carmen "oh you leave me to do the kneading? " sydney mocks carmen as she holds up her arm showing off her muscles.

carmen starts kneading the dough and i take a seat next to sydney "you know... the last dinner i did with my catering company was a fundraiser at this lady's house. she was so mean, she wanted- demanded fresh pasta-" "oh no..." sydney nods "oh yes but you know me so i was like 'sure let's go' and then i get there and it's all dried out- i tried rolling it out but it was just crumbling but the worst part... i had this beautiful lamb ragú" she closes her eyes savoring her creation.