the cigarettes

i had just walked in the door and richie was already yelling "yo? what's going on?" carmen asks richie. an older women looks between all of us as we stand around "yo. i got it cousin!" richie says loudly "where's ron?" richie asks the lady.

"ron's gone. gone, gone. i'm nancy chore i'm taking over ron's place as his partner" she informs us "ron's dead?!" marcus asks from in front of the counter "who's the owner here?" she raises her eyebrows at me.

i quickly shake my head no.

i couldn't imagine the responsibility of this place.

"i'm the owner" carmen tells the health inspector "he's the owners brother actually. he's also dead." the inspector glances at carmen "he doesn't look dead" i outwardly laugh but quickly cover it with a cough "no- no i'm not dead my brothers dead" carmen tells her while resting a hand on his chest.

carmen closes his eyes and shakes his head slightly "uhhh anyway. mrs chore you make yourself at home and grab us if you need anything" he motions between me and him "me?" i whisper as we walk into the kitchen "yeah... you can do it" he smirks as he wipes off his cutting board "you're the owner im the cook. you take care of it, okay?" i squint my eyes and smile sarcastically "yes ma'am" i roll my eyes at him.

i try to work around the health inspector but she's everywhere i need to be. i'm constantly bumping into her. i cant even think straight with her being in here.

my chest starts to get tight, i feel like i'm suffocating in this kitchen "chef?" i zone out and keep chopping the garlic i need "chef?" that name was only a blur to me right now "val!" i look up to see carmen calling my name.

i didn't even realize, i did one more chop. only to miss the garlic and slice the start of my finger tip "oh fuck.." i wince "cut!" carmen says while walking me over to the sink "for the love of god please move" i tell the health inspector.

she moves out of the way and walks into the dining area "sweeps?" carmen calls him "can you clean up val's station please? she cut the shit out of her finger" he dips his head down to meet my eyes "you okay?" he asks while placing a hand on my back "they need you in there, go" i point my head to the doors and focus on the red that keeps spilling out from my finger.

"yo what's goin on?" carmen asks while i stay at the sink, cold water still running over my finger "hey" fak comes into the kitchen "i was told to help so i'll help you. where's the first aid kit?" he asks while looking around "it's in the locker on the very bottom" i turn the water off and wrap a brown paper towel around my finger as fak gets the stuff together.

after some time he finally wraps my finger "thank you" i say relieved that the bleeding stopped "-haven't even delivered the big one yet" i walk out to see carmen pinching the bridge of his nose "w-what- what's the big one?" he stutters slightly.

"someone left a pack of cigarettes on the stove near the burner- not only very dangerous but also a potential contaminate" ms chore tells carmen "motherfucker" he looks at richie with daggers in his eyes.

richie was the only one that could have done it "you can say that again" she tells carmen "motherfucker!" richie yells "don't actually say it again you fucking idiot!" carmen harshly spits out at him "so given that i will award you a c" she holds the paper out but no one touches it.

"oh my god?" sydney questions "that's fuckin wack dude" marcus speaks up. we all say our rounds of words as carmen, richie and the health inspector keep conversing "i can caulk! it'll take me five minutes! i can fucking caulk! let me caulk!" richie shouts as she leaves the paper with carmen and walks out of the shop.

i walk over to carmen who looks past me and at richie "you wanna bitch at me? you wanna run this place you fucking slob?" he points his finger into richies face.