nicknames

"is it weird to feel calm about how there's only seven weeks until we open?" i ask carmen as we lay in bed "yeah... i- i don't think that's normal" my eyes stay on the ceiling and i nod "right... time?" i look over to him "7" he says tiredly. i sit on the edge of the bed, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

carmen puts his hand on my back "marcus leaves today" he says "i'm excited for him..." i smile. carmen's hand falls as i get out of bed "we're not going in early today-"
"you aren't but i am" i grab my clothes for the day.

"what would have happened if you were pregnant?" chills run over my skin, i didn't expect him to bring it up again, ever. "i- i don't know-" i felt my throat closing up "do you want kids?" he asks "do you?" i ask him
"no" he immediately says "i don't want them either" my voice was at a whisper as i shake my head slightly.

our eyes haven't left each others this while time and i feel my stomach turning "okay.." he gets out of a bed with a sigh and heads to the bathroom "okay" i whisper to myself and get ready for the day.

once carmen was done in the bathroom i brush my teeth and my hair "i thought you weren't going in early" i say as carmen puts his jacket on "i have a meeting today. i'll be there after though" he fixes the collar on his jacket "okay" i nod "alright i'll see you later" he gives me a kiss and leaves.

i have a small cup of coffee before grabbing my bag and heading to the restaurant. i was surprised with richie and fak, they were getting a lot done "good morning!" fak shouts "morning!-" "where's cousin?" richie wipes his hands off with a towel "he's coming in a little later, he'll be here" i assure richie.

natalie and i sort out some papers in the office as we wait for carmen "hey, val?" natalie asks "what's up?" i write on a piece of paper and put it to the side "how come you don't call carmen any of his nicknames?" she asks. i put the pen down and sit back in my chair "i feel like mikey when i do. nobody called him his nicknames more than mikey. i don't even think i ever heard mikey call carmen 'carmen'" i laugh under my breath.

natalie smiles sadly "that's the only reason?" she asks "yeah.." i nod "hey-" "finally!" natalie stands up as carmen walks in. she explains how us trying to file the beef as the bear was a problem, because mikey never filed the beef as a business in the first place.

we got rejected which means we have to file a completely new business under the bear and pay the fine for mikey not filing the place properly the first time "so it's a money thing?" carmen asks "it's always a money thing- also the second deep clean is rescheduled for tomorrow" i tell them both "fuck" natalie sighs "you can say that again" carmen sighs "ooh fuck" natalie puts a hand to her stomach "you okay?" carmen asks "the dba is just stressing me out" she takes a deep breath.

she looks to me and carmen before ending her act "look, don't tell anyone, okay?- i won't wanna be treated differently-" "okay... sugar, what's wrong?" "and i'm only telling you guys just- just in case and don't think i'm not excited because i am so... so excited" she was on the verge of tears.

carmen's lips form an 'o' and his eyebrows raise "and please i don't want anyone to know because somehow in my head it feels great to know-" i stand up and natalie grabs my hand "it feels great to know.." i turn my head and gasp to see the wall of the office completely fall over "great to know i'm pregnant" natalie finishes causing sydney, fak, and richie to hear.

she really didn't want richie to know but it was too late "i fuckin knew it!" he shouts. natalie puts a hand over her face and sighs "the wall fell" fak says. carmen looks to me in shock that his sisters pregnant.

he places his hand on natalies arm before walking through where used to be a wall "wanna get some air?" i ask natalie "yeah" she nods. we make our way through the kitchen and out the back door.

i grab two crates and set them down side by side "you mind?" i ask natalie as i hold up carmens pack of cigarettes "one less that he'll smoke" she smiles. "remember when i wanted to talk to you the other day?-" "yes! it's been weighing on my mind this whole time, what was it?" she asks while sitting down.

"i though i was in your situation a few days ago? and-" "oh my god- you're-" "no! no! i'm not but i thought i was, so i told carmen... and i asked if he wanted kids and he said no" she frowns at my words "do you?" she asks. i shake my head no "and that's okay val! you know why carmy doesn't want kids... that one christmas was a prime example" she says and i nod.

"yeah for sure and i- i dont blame him but i know if... i don't even know why i brought it up to him. we've never discussed anything like that.." i sigh and laugh "it was just stupid of me" i flick the cigarette away and put my hands over my eyes "valerie don't stress yourself out about it. i promise you that isn't even on carmen's mind right now- i mean that's what we want right?" she asks.

"that's exactly what i want- god i haven't even thought about that christmas until you brought it up" i wipe my eyes just a bit "valerie i think you need a break..." she frowns "no i cant we have the plumbing and the electrical guys coming tomorrow and i told told fak i would help him- which i don't know how much i can do but... i'm gonna be here, natalie. i'm doing this for carmen-" "claire's back in town" she blurts out.

i stand up with a bitter laugh. i lift my head up to the cloudy sky and take a sharp breath "i suddenly i wanna think about that one christmas again..."