━━━━ vi. down the rabbit-hole

┏━━ ◢ ✥ ◣ ━━┓

006.
LOST GIRLS

DAMON SALVATORE❝ no wonder you and blondie arebest friends

DAMON SALVATORE
no wonder you and blondie are
best friends. you both ask the
same stupid questions.

┗━━ ◥ ✥ ◤ ━━┛

"I'VE HAD IT WITH YOU, Aaravi Varma," seethes my mother the second she answers the door to me standing on the porch. "For the majority of this week, you've been staying at Caroline's house against my wishes and now you ditched the fundraiser?"

"I didn't ditch the car-wash," I hum, suppressing a sigh as I slide past her into the house. "Caroline left somewhere so I went to find her."

The usual suffocation once I enter is slightly eased by the sight of Aryan playing with his teethers in the living room. I seat myself down in front, unable to keep myself from smiling at his sudden squeal of joy. Placing him onto my lap, I nudge my nose against his as he explodes in a fit of giggles.

For the past few days, I really have not been able to see much of my brother, much less spend any time with the boy. That is partly my fault since I've been the one neglecting him for Caroline's company.

My mother follows after me, standing beside us. She does not seem convinced, "Oh, really? That's funny since she was the one who called me up, asking whether you came home and that she couldn't get ahold of you." Ah, that's why.

"About that," I wince as Aryan tugs at my hair. "I think I lost my phone." And so ensues a barrage of frustrated yells at my lack of responsibility towards my own safety, well-being and commitments.

Honestly, I can't blame my mother for that. It isn't as if she knows how close I had been to death multiple times today nor that the world is much more complicated than anyone can ever imagine. Creatures of myth and legend are real and amongst us — how can I tell her that without sounding completely insane? The right answer is that I can't. Our frayed relationship is already hanging on by mere tatters. I don't want to risk an absolute tear if I can help it.

Needless to say, I spend the rest of the evening assisting my mother with household chores and handling Aryan. I don't really mind either, what with this serving as an effective distraction from my straying thoughts. No part of me wants to think about the finality of today's events any more than I have to.

God, I really do spend a huge percentage of my time procrastinating, don't I? That'll probably be my New Year's Resolution, to change my worst quality into something much more productive. Only three more months left of being able to procrastinate to the fullest, so I'll have to make good use of this limited timeframe.