━━━━ xi. highway to hell

┏━━ ◢ ✥ ◣ ━━┓

011.
BLOODLINES

DAMON SALVATORE❝ you know I'm still waiting on my goodnight kiss, right? ❞

DAMON SALVATORE
you know I'm still
waiting on my goodnight
kiss, right?

┗━━ ◥ ✥ ◤ ━━┛

TODAY HAS BEEN NOTHING SHORT of a nightmare. How ironic that I'm forced through almost identical situations twice in the span of a few hours — first with Caroline, then with Elena. There is no worse feeling than knowing your best friends are in danger and you yourself being absolutely useless in helping them.

Despite the full belief I have in Damon, it does little to quell my growing concern the longer he goes without calling. The moment the call disconnected half-an-hour ago, he had taken one long look at the terror on my features and disappeared into the night, sealing his promise with a lingering kiss to my forehead.

It isn't that I don't trust him, of course I do. He has already saved Caroline once today and I'm sure he'd help Elena — despite his aloof attitude, I know there is some part of him that truly does care; if he doesn't, how can you explain his willingness to go along with my whims, however small they may be? Why me, is another question entirely that I doubt I'd receive an answer to, at least anytime soon.

For a little while, I'm kept busy with trying to reach Caroline. It doesn't work, of course, but I still cannot fight the need to be reassured that she is okay by someone with her, seeing how I cannot be there myself. Eventually, Liz is the one that answers: whether she buys into my excuse of being worried (which I was) when Caroline disappeared halfway through our conversation (which she did), I don't know. Still, that is secondary to knowing that the girl is fast asleep under the care of her mother and completely fine.

It is a little over eleven when my parents return. I don't have much to say, thanks to my anxiety over Elena's current situation, but they notice nothing amiss. The atmosphere remains awkward between my dad and I, though my mother is there to diffuse the tension enough for me to escape to my room once I hand over Aryan's responsibility. That leaves me with plenty of time to pace the length of my bedroom, gnawing at my lip over the various possibilities my overthinking mind presents me with.

Still, when Damon's call finally comes through, I do not expect his questionable priorities: "You up for a road-trip?" For a short second, I have no idea what to respond with and somehow, he seems to take my silence as a form of hesitation. "Come on, Bambi. Take a break from your life for one day."

"Damon," I hiss, pinching the bridge of my nose between my fingers. "Is Elena okay?" Judging by how cheerful he sounds on the other end, I'm taking it as an affirmative but either way, it doesn't hurt to check.