Season 1 Episode 6: Shut Up and Learn, Miley

It had been three weeks since Oliver and Lilly broke up. Lilly didn't want to talk about their "stupid fight" but from what I gathered, it was mostly the distance. After all, Oliver had been busy running his restaurant and Lilly was busy with school. I was trying my best to be comforting and understanding after all, Lilly was always there for me when things didn't work out with Jake. I was having trouble however, because I was fearful for my own relationship. I really wanted Jake and I to have it easy this time around and if he was gone for four months – give or take a couple weeks with "weekend visits" – it would be hard to keep our spark alive.

Lilly had been crying all night. Oliver hadn't returned any of her texts or phone calls since he returned home. She tried using my phone, and he answered but hung up soon as he heard her voice and since then, hasn't returned any of my calls or texts either. I had been trying to cheer her up as best as I could but this was her and Oliver's first huge fight. They both were so stubborn!

"Wakey, wakey, Lilly!" I sang as I walked into her room, a tray of bacon, eggs and hashbrowns in my hand. She sat up in her bed, her eyes puffy from crying.  "I made you breakfast, Lil. Wouldn't want you to be hungry before class."

"I'm not going," she started to eat. "Why not?" I asked, sitting down at the foot of her bed. Lilly shrugged, "I don't feel like it. I'll just read my textbooks and work on my essay." "When's that due?" I asked. I knew this break up would be hard for Lilly, but I didn't want to see her waste her hard earned money only to fail her classes. "Tomorrow," she sighed, "I haven't even started." I tried not to look concerned. I gave her a goodbye hug, and headed to my own classes.

So far, the first semester of college had been easy. Music 100 was probably my favourite class, and people had really started to chill around me and treat me the same as any other student. I had three papers that were due last week, and when I got the marks back yesterday they were all high 90's, except my History of Music report on Bach, which only earned me a 72%. Professor Gambler was old and grouchy, but very passionate about the history of music. I was just glad I wasn't failing his class.

My History of Music class was first thing this morning. I had shuffled in with a group of other students, and found a seat in the front row. Usually, Professor Gambler was standing at the front podium, his bowtie strangling his neck as he counted how many students there were in the classroom. I had never missed a class so far, but I heard from a group of second year students that took his class, that last year he would elect one person to recite his entire lecture word-for-word for the student who missed class. I usually recorded the class using my phone just in case this ever happened to me.

Instead of Professor Gambler, there was a younger man who looked like he was about in his mid-twenties. He had dark brown curly hair, broad shoulders and his outfit resembled something a hipster who didn't want to be known as a hipster would wear. He looked up at us and cleared his throat.

"Hello everyone."

"Hello," we said back in unison.

"My name is Austin Calloway, I am Professor Gambler's TA for the semester. You may have seen me in a couple of his classes, sitting in the very back. I hope to someday teach this class and with Professor Gambler gone for this week, I get to have a chance to experience it with you all by being his substitute.