The Train Robber

Clayton had always been good at robbing trains. Not that he found it very complicated. He would point guns and demand money, and it all seemed to work out just fine. His whole life had worked out just fine.

Clayton was once again on a train, running across the desert, pointing guns and demanding money. But all of the passengers gave him a funny look. They looked... welcoming. Which is not the look you expect from people being robbed.

"I'll take the money." He said, waving people over.

"It's your lucky day. We all have so much money on this train. People say there's no point in taking it with you, but I think you should take your money on all your travels." A very helpful man in a uniform said, handing over three thousand dollars cash with a smile.

Eleven other passengers handed over their cash, some with as little as two hundred, some with as much as ten thousand. Out of all the heists of his life, this was more than Clayton could have ever dreamed. And everyone was so obliging about the whole thing. An older lady gave him an encouraging pat on the shoulder, as though she were pleased about his helping her carry groceries.

Cash in hand, it was time for him to make his escape. Or maybe not just yet. He looked out the windows and saw only darkness. They must have been inside a tunnel. No use in trying to leave until they were out of it. He could wait a little while.

The passengers waved him over to a table, and someone brought him a drink. Why not? He got to chatting. A dozen people were on the train, and he felt that he could relate a little to all of them. He could get used to this.

"So where are you folks headed?"

"Oh, we're all going home. All of us."

The ticket agent stopped over to give him a one way ticket.

"Better make it a round trip." Clayton joked.

The ticket agent grinned. "Train only goes one way."