Chapter 22: A Little Dragon

"Really?" I ask Merlin.

"Yes, I've been wondering about it for a while, but now, I'm sure." Merin picks up Helquin. "Around the end of the Holy War dragons were considered extinct in the human realm, believed to only still exist in the demon realm and purgatory."

"And yet one was still alive and had hatchlings." I add.

"That means there's another dragon out there somewhere unless it's been killed already." Helbram also adds.

"Indeed, but this also means there is a high possibly of crossbreeding and/or inbreeding. And with a lifespan of 500 to 3,000 years, it is more probable this would be the case."

"Depending on the type of dragon they can have anywhere from 1 hatchling to 10. Y/n do you remember how many siblings it had?" Helbram asks.

"No, I only saw him and his mother." I answer. "His mother was about half Diane's size, she camouflaged in the forest very well, I don't know how poachers even found her."

"Leave it to the humans..." Helbram sighs. "If she truly blended into the forest scenery like you say then she was most likely a Formysney, this species usually stayed in forests close to the Fairy King's Forest. That's where she most likely was until the forest was destroyed." Helbram crosses his arms and legs; effectively sitting in the air. "Formysney's are very large, not the largest species of dragon but still on the bigger side, they never stop growing."

"But the only similarity to his mother Helquin has, is his horns, and I believe their eyes are the same too." I point out. Merlin rubs her hand over Helquin's scales.

"The texter and thickness of his scales suggests a higher heat resistance." Merlin says. "Possibly a Infhotert."

"The demon's dragon." Helbram sighs. "Have any of those even been seen in the human's realm?"

"During the Holy War, a group of demons used them as weapons. Considering this species has the longest lifespan it is possible for one to still be alive now." Merlin explains. "They can live to be around 3,000 years old."

"That means it would've been reaching the end of its life, right?" I ask.

"Yes." Merlin answers.

"Typically, animals will only breed within their own race but when pushed to the berk of extinction they'll crossbreed to survive." Helbram explains.

"Precisely that. Reaching the end of his life and never finding a mate within his own race he had to make the choice to mate with another dragon type. Making the first dragon hybrid." Merlin smirks. "Formysney have a lifespan of 1,000 years and because of this they are fast growers however, Infhotert's have a lifespan of 3,000 years they grow much slower and can even stop growing if stressed out far too much."

"Stressed...?" I mumble as I look at Helquin. He spreads his wings and jumps to me. Helbram pets him.

"Most likely stressed from the scenery change." Helbram points out.

"Well, I hate to cut this short, but the king is requesting the sin's today, so I must take my leave. We can continue this conversation later." Merlin says just before she snaps her fingers and vanishes.

"Huh? What was that about?" I ask Helbram.

"Harlequin said something about metals."

"For saving the kingdom?"

"That'd be my guess. We're supposed to go as well, to spectate but I'd rather not." Helbram takes Helquin from me. "We should set up a more comfortable area for him, if he's getting that stressed out it'd be a good idea." I nod my head. "Well then let's head to the forest."