six

THE STRANGEST PART about dinner and the bonfire wasn't the sacrifices of food or the strange songs. It was the fact that it didn't bring back a single memory.

From her seat by the fire, Elle stared intensely at the ocean. It was dark, but the moon was bright. She could see the dark silhouettes of waves crashing upon the sand. She could feel the familiar pull in her gut, the ocean drawing her in. The sea was stormy tonight. Elle wondered what that could mean. Did her father know she had made her return to Camp from wherever she'd been? Was he too unsettled by her arrival, or was he troubled by Hera's capture? Could it be both?

Elle didn't remember anything about Poseidon. She wondered if he cared about her and Percy, or if he ignored them. The thought of Percy sent a pang through her heart.

At dinner, everyone sacrificed a portion of their meal to their godly parent. Elle had burned her best bite of cheeseburger and several fries with a prayer: I don't remember him well, but wherever he is, take care of Percy. Please. Elle wasn't sure how likely it was Poseidon had even heard her message, but it didn't hurt to try.

A soft whisper from Jason pulled Elle from her thoughts.

"Hey, uh, there's a guy who's been staring at you for the past twenty minutes now."

Elle turned her head, following his gaze.

Across the amphitheater sat Aris. In the firelight, his wine-colored eyes glowed red. His lips were pressed together tightly, his mouth pulled downward in a troubled frown.

Elle shifted uncomfortably. He was her friend — she remembered that much. When she'd passed by his cabin — Cabin Twelve — she'd been hit by a vision of them flipping through magazines and chatting happily. As she crossed by her own cabin, a flashback struck her.

Twelve-year-old Elle and Aris sat on the porch steps of Cabin Three.

"You know," Elle started, "you're the only person who talks to me like I'm a human being after the whole being claimed thing. They're all wary of me — like they think I'm up to something."

Aris flashed her a grin. Gods, Elle barely knew him and she was already a sucker for his grin. "You're still the same person... although you are a little fishier."

Elle snorted. "That's not a word and it was a terrible joke."

Aris' grin grew wider. "What are you talking about? That was high-quality humor!"

"Sure. Keep telling yourself that, Aristotle."

At the sound of his full name, Aris gasped at her. "I told you that in confidence, Traitor! No wonder they're wary of you: you spill everyone's secrets!"

Elle shook her head with a laugh. While she pretended to be annoyed by the boy's bad jokes, it was exactly what she needed.

"You're such a dork."

"Do you know him?" Jason whispered again, dragging her back to reality.

Elle forgot he was there.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I know him. Or, I knew him."

Finally, she tore her eyes away from the son of Dionysus. Instead, she gave Jason a small, pained smile.

Whatever song the campers were singing ended and Chiron stepped forward.

"Very nice, everyone! And a special welcome to our new arrivals." Chiron, as expected, did not single anyone out, as that would lead to having to explain Elle's arrival. "I am Chiron, the camp activities director, and I'm happy you have all arrived here — and with most of your limbs attached! In a moment, I promise we'll get to the s'mores, but first—"