Part 7: An Amulet

Dawn shone down on Jorvik Stables. The sound of the birds could be heard in the morning. The adults had started heading towards nearby markets or started heading towards their work. The teenagers had started working their morning jobs or meeting up with each other. While the kids had started helping their parents, playing with their older siblings or playing with their pets.
Gunnar felt his heart ached at the beautiful sight of Jorvik's morning sky and the sound of the songbirds. What he'll give just to see the morning skies and hear other voices than the Vala Witch's voice in his head to do her doings. But for some reason, he feels somewhat freer whenever he's around the fifth Soul Rider and Erika for some reason.
Ydris saw her sitting alone, away from the others. He frowned, feeling concerned about her. But he knows that she has to take her own time to warm up to the others. Ydris soon pushed those thoughts away from his mind and hid it away. He gently patted Erika's back, startling her and made her looked up at him in surprise. Everyone was laughing and chattering, not paying attention to anything around them. But Gunnar had saw it and sat down next to Erika protectively, giving Ydris an angry glare while he's at it. 
Many of the people takes in pride of the unique nature and vibrant beauty of Jorvik. One could almost feel sorry for all the people who had never experienced the beautiful island they called home.
But the screen soon changed and showed Erika grooming Tempest by herself. The girl glanced over her shoulder to see other riders taking care of their horses and the stablehands working everywhere in the stables.
Erika hummed thoughtfully. "Looks an average day to me."
But staying near Erika — who was grooming Tempest — was Linda grooming Meteor. Linda caught Erika's eye and winked at her playfully, making Erika glanced at her and smiled at Linda.
Linda caught Erika's eye, a smile could be seen and Erika returned her smile.
"Everyone!" Everyone in the stables jumped in place and turned to see Stein standing by the door. "The mailman is here."
Stein looked between Linda and Erika, who were both seemed to be communicating silently with each other and came to a silent agreement.
The two girls both smiled at each other while Gunnar watched them a forlorn look. He remembered when he and Jon Jarl were both best of friends before the war and betrayal had happened between to them.
Once Erika was finished taking care of Tempest, she led her black mare out of the cleaning stall and joined the others by surrounding the mailmen.
Erika barely watched or listened as Stein called out names of the other riders and stablehands as she petted Tempest's muzzle. "Erika Thrymson!" She blinked in surprise and spun around to glance at the mailman curiously. "I have a letter for you." He gave her a letter and Erika watched as he continued on with his delivering business.
"Been a while since that happened," remarked Erika.
She placed her finger on the blue ribbon to loosen it and start reading it. "Dear Erika, I'm so glad to hear that you've moved to the countryside of Jorvik. I would like to visit you in Jorvik Stables, but I am afraid I am too old to take the trip, even if I got a car ride from someone. Here is my welcome gift for you and I hope you find it useful. Starting money of five thousand Jorvik shillings. I have another gift for you that I want to give to you once you arrive, it's a protective amulet that has been in the family for centuries. Take good care of both gifts, my dear. I've not seen you since you were a baby and were baptized in Jarlaheim's church. I would appreciate it if you ever had the opportunity to visit me at Crescent Moon Village. Take good care of yourself and good luck. Signed, your grandmother, Helena Thrymson."
Erika was silent and had a thoughtful look in her eyes. Linda looked between Erika and Tempest, who were both seemed to be communicating silently with each other and came to a silent agreement.
It didn't take long to see Erika astride on a galloping Tempest on the trail towards the Crescent Moon Village. As they stopped on the top of a hill, the Crescent Moon Village felt calm and peaceful as it stood near the swamplands and some forests. The sounds of rapid hoof beats and the sounds of birdsong filled the air.
"So, we're just jumping into it, aren't we?" muttered Alex.
Erika narrowed her eyes with wary curiosity as she gazed at the village. She and her mare caught each other's eyes with silent words being spoken between them. At that, she galloped down to the village.
"Sure looks like it," Anne said quietly.
Erika can be seen riding a trotting Tempest into the village. The village was less active than in Jarlaheim, but it was quiet and full of hidden life. Erika looked around the laidback village curiously, with Tempest's ears twitched and sniffed the air warily. Erika spoke to a member of the small town, who nodded and pointed to one of the houses nearby. Erika nodded and gave her gratitude to him before she rode away once again.
Erika looked around curiously as she continued riding through the village when she saw an elderly woman carefully working in her garden. The woman has ponytailed white hair with a tinge of light blonde and twinkling bright green eyes. The woman was wearing a blue dress decorated with green flowers and boots.
"Grandma Helena," whispered Erika quietly at the sight of her grandmother.
The cottage was slightly hidden by the nearby forest. Outside of the cottage stood three horses (a dappled gray stallion named Oliver, a brown pinto mare named Patches, a dark brown mare named Derby, and a seal brown tobiano mare named Luna) eating from a trough. In the backyard, there was a small piece of land and behind the cottage was a barn and a larger paddock. Inside of the pasture are two cows, three pigs, and three goats.
"Grandma!" Erika cried out joyfully.
"Erika!" Grandma Helena smiled at the sight of the girl as she led her horse carefully into the garden. The two of them both hugged each other with Tempest joining them in their embrace.
Erika smiled at the heartwarming sight between her grandma and herself.
The sky was in the color of amber and the girl had clearly went into the kitchen in Helena Thrymson's cottage while Tempest poked her head through the opened window. It showed Erika sitting around a table and were watching Helena getting a plate.
It was quite clear that Erika and her grandmother had spoke to each other for a while.
She had placed a plate of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies and gave the girl a cup of strawberry smoothie. Helena gently gotten out a glittering black box out of her bag and gave it to Erika. "Erika, your mother wanted you to have this."
Erika slowly opened and smiled at the sight of the gift inside. The amulet is a silvery-gray gem engraved with unique markings on its smooth silvery surface.
Gunnar felt his breath caught in his throat when he caught sight of the familiar amulet.
"This amulet is from the Middle Ages when Jon Jarl ruled over the island," Helena explained to Erika. "The amulet is made by a druid and the piece of the stone is taken from a rune stone. The Rune Stone script within the amulet is a protection formula and it should protect you from any dangers."
Gunnar felt his breath caught in his throat when he caught sight of the amulet. If Erika's grandmother had his wife's amulet, that — that means Erika is one of his descendants.
"How's that even possible?" asked Erika doubtful and her silvery amulet gleamed as she held it in the sunlight.
"Anything's possible in Jorvik." Helena winked at Erika playfully and she walked away to the living room, while the teenage girl just rolled her eyes at her grandmother's playfulness.
Erika gently put it around her neck and blinked in surprise when she suddenly saw a white light before it disappeared all too quickly.