8: Safe From Mickey

Despite feeling dizzy and exhausted, Diya mustered the strength to get ready for work. She had been asleep for a full 12 hours, yet the weariness lingered. However, she recognized that work was her driving force, the one thing that kept her going. Staying at home would only fuel her worries about becoming lazy, so she resolved to push through and head to the office. At least she'll be distracted there.

As Diya braided her hair to one side, she was startled by the sound of her doorbell ringing. Frowning, she approached the door and cautiously peered through the peephole, only to be taken aback by what she saw. In a rush of perplex and disbelief, Diya flung the door open, blurting out, 

Ashwin?

Ashwin smiled warmly as he looked up at Diya.

Hi!

he greeted. His gaze shifted to her, noticing that she was dressed up and ready to go somewhere. Concern etched his brow as he asked,

Yenga porae? 

( Where are you going?)

Budhankalama kalaila yellarum yenga povanga?

( Where do people usually go on a Wednesday morning?)

Yenga povanga?

( Where?)

Ashwin innocently asked back, making Diya internally sigh,

Office'ku dhan

( To work)

He suddenly stared at her as though she had said something totally unbelievable,

What?

What, "what"? Nee inga yenna panrae? Unaku yepdhi house number theriyum?

( What do you mean by ' what?' What are you doing here? How did you know my house number?)

She realized that she had never disclosed her exact address to anyone, and only a few people were aware of her living at the Sunshine Residence. It made her wonder how Ashwin had managed to find her.

Ashwin's boyish smirk widened as he leaned closer to Diya, resting his hand on the doorframe and casually slipping the other into his pocket. His face inched closer to hers, creating an intimate proximity between them. With a playful tone, he uttered,

Ivlo azhagana ponnodha veedha kandupudhikiradhulam oru matter'eh illa

( It's not that hard to find out such a beautiful girl's house number)

Diya's eyes widened in surprise as Ashwin smoothly slipped past her and entered the house, closing the door behind him. She stood there for a moment, caught off guard by his sudden boldness.

Adhuku yaar azhaga irundhalum, avanga veetu ulla poiruviya?

( So you just walk into any beautiful people's house?)

Ashwin turns around, a mischievous grin on his face, not the least bit concerned about her astonished question. He meets her gaze and answers,

Na yella azhagana ponna sollala, indha azhagana ponna mattum dhan sonnen.

( I wasn't talking about all beautiful people, I was talking about this beautiful girl)

Diya's jaw drops, and she can't help but bury her face in her palms as she lets out an exasperated groan. She realizes that Ashwin is still stuck in his delusion, believing that he can win her love with that silly dimple he keeps showing off. Diya knows that she was too preoccupied to put a stop to it that day, but she can't let it go any further. It has already gone too far. She looks up, expecting to find Ashwin still there, but to her surprise, he is nowhere to be seen.