11: Mickey's Home

It's a usual day until the bus continues its usual route without stopping at Ashwin's place. Diya frowns, her curiosity piqued.

Maybe he got his bike back, she tells herself.

At the office again, she finds no sign of Ashwin, and his desk lies untouched, a stark contrast to the usual organized chaos of his workspace.

It dawns on her that he is absent today. Worried and not knowing how to ask, Diya decides to send his project to him saying that he'd missed his signature, though she knows it's a long shot.

Later, she receives a message from him, along with the signature, there's a short note explaining that he is feeling sick and won't be able to make it to the office.

Diya's concern for Ashwin heightens. Her mind races with thoughts of what she can do to check on him and make sure he's alright because the idea of texting him feels insufficient.

Her restless thoughts make it difficult to focus on anything else, and she finds herself sighing heavily as she slumps into her chair, placing the Minnie keychain she's been fiddling with on the table with a thud, feeling frustrated with her predicament.

Pchh, yevanda avan?

( Pchh, who is it? )

Sarath is peacefully sleeping when he's awaken by something poking him. He sleepily opens his eyes to find Diya trying to wake him by poking him with a pen. Saratha is startled,

Yenna'nga?! Yennachu? Yedhavadhu venuma?

( Can I help you? Is something wrong? )

She nods,

Appo yenava irundhalum sollunga! Aiyo, partner vera illaye!

( What is it?!)

Adhu vandhu...

( Its...)

Sollunga, come on...

( Spill it, please..)

Ashwin'oda address venum..

( I need Ashwin's address)

She feels a bit uncomfortable making this request, but her worry for Ashwin overpowers her reluctance. Sarath is surprised by her request and this improvement, he mentally praises his partner. Looking around to make sure no one is seeing, Sarath giggles before grabbing a piece of paper and jots down Ashwin's address.

Diya takes it from him,

Yaar kittayum sollidhadhinga...

( Please don't tell anyone)

Ashwin kitta kuda solla matten! Neenga jolly'ah poitu vanga!

( I won't even tell Ashwin! You have fun!)

Diya chuckles,

Thanks na

>>>>———— 💫 ————<<<<

Ashwin's head throbs as if it had been struck by a hammer, but it's just his mobile buzzing relentlessly beside him. With a heavy sigh, he grabs the phone, slides the green icon, and groggily utters, 

Hello? 

into the receiver.

Hello? Ashwin?

Ashwin's eyes snap wide open at the sound of Diya's voice from the other end of the call. He kicks his comforter away, quickly sits up in bed, and holds the phone closer to his ear, fully alert now.