Chapter 7 - Origin Story

I entered the obsidian chamber with my pack slung over my shoulder. Jake had a somber look on his face. Before I began experimenting with the obsidian, I needed to take care of something. I had decided on calling him Jake since Herobrine wasn't even his real name. I set my pack down beside the raised platform on which Jake was chained and pulled out a pair of shears. Seven hundred years of growing hair did not look pretty, and it would bug me until I cut it. It must be awfully heavy too.

He eyed the shears, then said, "Where did you find those?"

"I found a vein of iron ore while mining."

He opened his mouth to say something, then shut it. I could see the emotions warring on his face and decided to speak up, "You don't have to tell me." I positioned myself behind him and began sawing at a giant mat of brown hair.

"No, I need to get it off my chest." He took a deep breath, then began, "I grew up in a small village called Winghaven. As I already mentioned, I and my older brother Steve were best friends. We looked very similar and liked playing pranks on those who couldn't tell us apart. The main difference was that I had brown eyes and Steve had blue eyes. Steve was an all-star student. He made good grades and was super popular. All the adults in the village liked him too because he worked hard and always had a smile on his face. I wasn't so lucky in school, I made average grades, but was bullied all the time. I tried to be as good as Steve but always funked things up. I got jealous a lot, but Steve always told me that I was just as good as he was, even if others didn't see it. When we got out of school, we decided to leave our hometown and become adventurers as we had always dreamed of when we were little. Everything was looking great. We recovered magical artifacts from booby-trapped temples and helped anyone who needed a couple of warriors to come to the rescue. We had ourselves a small reputation in the area."

"But then everything changed. We had just stumbled upon a temple made of solid bedrock deep under a more normal desert temple. We had no idea how anything could be made of bedrock, but at the time we didn't really care. It was full of crazy traps that could only have been made using magic. We nearly died several times and almost gave up when we stumbled upon the treasure room. It was crammed full of just about everything an adventurer dreamed of finding. Emeralds, diamonds, gold, Redstone, lapis lazuli, enchanted books, and countless other one-of-a-kind and even magical artifacts were all just piled on top of each other in the gigantic room. We nearly rolled in our find, but then I found a strangely carved bedrock door at the back of the room. We sifted through the treasure and eventually found a bedrock key that fit into the keyhole. We cautiously opened the door, expecting another trap."

"Floating on a bedrock pedestal in the center of the otherwise barren room was a glowing white crystal about the size of my fist. I wanted nothing more than to snatch it up, but we knew it would probably be booby-trapped. We just stood there and stared at it for a while. None of the treasures in the other room came close to comparing with its radiant power and beauty. I eventually found the courage to touch it, and Steve encouraged me to try. I rubbed my hands together, took a deep breath, and quickly grabbed it before I could have any second thoughts. Searing pain like nothing I had ever felt before burst its way up my arm and into the rest of my body. I screamed like an enderman and collapsed to the floor. My body began to glow faintly, and the glow grew until my entire body was white and shining brighter than the sun. I was floating in the air. My body tingled as a feeling amazing beyond descriptioncoursede through my veins. Then a shockwave ripped through the air and sent both me and Steve flying. I cracked my head on the wall and fell unconscious." Jake paused and took another deep breath. I had just managed to finish the first mat of hair, but there were plenty more where that came from. I nearly screeched for him to continue; the suspense was killing me! I understood he might need a minute though. I mean, he was pouring out his whole life's story, so I should cut him some slack.