6 Reunion

*Content warning for sex scenes and descriptions of traumatic injuries.

The crisp night wind cut through your kimono and you pressed yourself against Itto in an attempt to retain some body heat. You, Itto, and Shinobu stood by the shore in silent anticipation. Tonight you were expecting to received your first patients from the Watatsumi resistance.
A small waverider approached; barely visible with its engines off, it was only detectable by the splashing of oars against the waves.
You didn't recognise the woman at the helm. Itto waded out to meet her and returned with an anchor in his hands. He then pulled the boat ashore, tossed the anchor into the sand and pressed it down with his foot for good measure.
You and Shinobu helped the woman unload the first patient. The cold water lapped at your ankles and your toes immediately numbed.
The woman and Shinobu manouvered the stretcher out of the boat, then you and Shinobu carried it to the mouth of the cavern.
The patient was wrapped in bandages but even then you thought they seemed too elderly to be a soldier. You certainly didn't recognise them.
Itto waited at the base of the ladder for you and Shinobu to lower the stretcher just enough for him to reach it. Then you repeated the process for the next ledge until you were able to take the patient the rest of the way in.
With the aid of a flat plane of wood you were able to transfer the patient to one of the beds. Now you could see them better, you thought they looked oddly familiar.
The second patient was brought in, in much the same manner.

Oni Baba offered the sailor some food and drink before Itto helped pull the anchor in and push the boat back to sea.
You busied yourself with removing the first patient's bandages and assessing the wounds.
Across their torso were blistered burns left by an electro attack. Their left hip had a deep gash that had been packed with gauze and loosely stitched, giving it room to weep.
You prepared a warm salt bath and dabbed the wounds before applying an antiseptic ointment and an analgesic spray.
The patient stirred and you rushed to get them a drink of water.
"Careful now, I don't want you sitting up too far." You said as they tried to prop themselves up on one elbow.
As your eyes met you almost cried out in shock. You realised why they seemed so familiar, now.
"Aoto?!" You whisper-yelled.
They squinted in the dim lantern light and then widened their eyes in realisation. He smacked his lips and said, "water."
You obliged and carefully helped him take a few sips.
When he was done he said, "We thought you had died. I can't even remember how many months ago now. What happened to you?"
"I could ask you the same thing. I heard stress ages you but this..." You brushed a strand of white hair from their face.
Aoto grimaced as he recalled what had happened. "We've been losing so much ground. The Fatui interference was too much combined with the Tenryou forces. Then we heard of these new gadgets. Artificial visions. The Fatui call them delusions."
You listened on in shock as Aoto recounted the most recent battle.
"I scooped up the delusion and without thinking I released this surge of electro. Soaked from the rain, a portion of it recoiled and burned me. Still, I took those bastards down with me. It was only later when I got back to camp that I noticed what the cost had been." Aoto motioned to his wrinkled face, his bony hands trembled. "It's like the delusion sapped the life out of me."
You shook your head in disbelief. "Surely there's a way to reverse the effects?" Though even you didn't believe that. How could you undo aging?
"If you find out, please tell me." Aoto sighed. "I'm glad you're okay, though. We've lost so many recently, it's nice to see someone back from the dead. So, what did happen to you?"
You recount your story, how you'd drifted with the tide and been found by Itto, how he and Oni Baba had cared for you until you recovered, and how you'd found this place to hide from the Tenryou commission.
"If anyone could survive such a beating, it would be you." Aoto chuckled, though it quickly became a coughing fit.
You helped him sip more water and waited for it to subside. "You should get some rest, now." You said as you gave his hand a comforting squeeze.
Aoto nodded. "Yeah, I could really do with some rest." He closed his eyes and drifted off.
Those would be the last words he spoke. The next time you came by to check on him, he was no longer breathing. His expression was so peaceful.