Chapter 16: Drifting

Everyone was beginning to drift off to sleep, Abraham and Eugene knocked out. Glenn and Maggie were still awake, talking and staying in the moment.
"I can't believe it." Says Glenn.
"I know." Maggie responds. "We were right over there." She nods to the end of the tunnel. "A whole swarm of em' came at us." She says, holding Glenn's hand, making patterns with her thumb. "And we didn't have enough bullets."
They sit in silence for a moment, staring into each others eyes.
"I tried to think what you would do if you were here." She smiles. "So I just emptied my clip into the ceiling and I hoped for the best."
"That's unreal!" Says Glenn with a huge smile on his face.
"Kind of like asking those guys to hold off saving the world while you go look for your wife?"
They both laugh, knowing that Glenn clearly cared for Maggie a lot considering he postponed saving the world.
"I'm a persuasive guy." Glenn says, chuckling.
"Yeah."

Glenn unrolls Maggie's poncho to use as a blanket for the two of them. The polaroid picture that Glenn carried on his journey fell out of the pocket. Maggie picks it up, pulling out her lighter, preparing herself to burn the mug shot of her.
"Woah, hey, what are you doing?!" Glenn says, taking the picture out of her hands.
"Sorry!" Maggie tries taking the picture out of his hands.
"This is the only picture I have of you."
Maggie smiles. "You don't need a picture of me. You never will again."
Glenn smiles at her, giving in as he places the picture over the lit lighter, watching it burn. Maggie smiles, satisfied that she persuaded Glenn to get rid of what she thought was an ugly picture of her.

Rosita was still awake, all she could hear was Glenn and Maggie giggling. She was happy for them but kind of jealous of their relationship. She hoped that one day, her and Abe would be like that. She turns over to face Tara, who looked like she was sleeping so she didn't want to bother her. She was so pretty and such a kind and caring person. Rosita was so glad she met her.
Tara opens her eyes slightly, bursting into a quiet laughter when she see's Rosita's face staring at her.
"Shh!" Rosita laughs, covering her mouth. "I was gonna ask you something but you haven't slept so I left it."
"Well with those two talking, I can't sleep anyway no matter how hard I try!" She says nodding to Maggie and Glenn.

"I just want you to know that..." She holds Tara's hand, intertwining their fingers. Tara blushes. "It's not your fault you know."
Tara looks at her, not breaking eye contact this time.
"You are so brave and kind and didn't deserve all those bad things that happened to you."
Tara just smiles, shedding a tear as it lands on Rosita's hand.
"Thank you. I mean it." Says Tara, as they both shut their eyes at an attempt to fall asleep.

AN: Short but sweet. hope you guys enjoyed!!