Chapter 8 ~ a great idea ~

Man tugged Noel gently to his car before putting him in the passenger seat and leaning in to fasten his seatbelt. Noel seemed to have gained a little more courage since he had hit him with the lamp, he was nervous but not as much as the first time he had been alone in the car with Man.

They were only inches apart and Man stared into the boys eyes, Noel stared back willing himself not to tremble and look away. Man moved away first and closed the car door before walking round to the drivers side, climbing in he started the car and drove them both to the nearest store.

"do you need a trolley?" Man asked.

"no, I only need a few items, I won't be long" Noel said climbing out of the car.

"wait up, I'll come with you" Man said as he climbed out himself and quickly caught up with the boy.

"why are you doing this?" Noel asked man.

"what, coming shopping with you?" Man played ignorant.

"you know what I'm talking about, following me around" Noel said.

"I've got nothing else to do, what's the matter, don't you like my company?" Man asked him.

"look, I've forgiven you, can't you just leave me alone now?" Noel asked again.

"nope, I figure that what happened on Saturday happened because we don't know each other well enough, how are we supposed to get acquainted and learn to trust each other if we don't spend any time together?" Man said smiling.

"I guess you have a point but it's kind of moot now seeing as I have resigned, there's no reason for us to know and trust each other" Noel said.

"but I haven't accepted your resignation, I still need you" Man said.

"there can't be much more I can do in your house other than finishing what I didn't do at the weekend" Noel said.

"there is so much more to do, please Noel, you can't leave me in the lurch when I have just found you" Man practically begged him.

"well ... I guess I could do a few more weekends but I do need to move, I need to look for another place, I already told my landlord I was moving out" Noel said.

"I have a great idea, move into the house, it's empty most of the time anyway" Man said.

"I don't know?" Noel wasn't sure, it sounded tempting and he did love the house but he was a bit scared of Man flying off the handle again.

"please Noel, I need you, look anything you do during the week I'll pay you extra" Man said.

"then ... ok just until I find somewhere else" Noel said and Man smiled at him.

"great, let's get your groceries then we can go back to yours and I'll help you pack, I'll drive you over there afterwards" Man was really pushing this.

This morning he had just wanted to apologize to the boy but as soon as he had seen the opportunity he had taken it and managed to get Noel to move into his house full time. It wasn't because he still didn't trust him, now he just wanted him in his house where he could keep him close and take care of him.

Noel was a little overwhelmed with Man making plans for him, he was used to being in control of his own life and had been for many years and suddenly Man was taking over, it made him feel weird, uncomfortable but also kind of safe.

They both arrived back at Noel's apartment and Man followed him inside. It was the first time Noel had brought anyone here, not even Gunny had ever been inside. Man was surprised at how little Noel had. It was a furnished apartment so all Noel had to pack was his clothes and a small photograph of a pretty young woman with a small boy.