Heartbeat

Hunter

The past two weeks have been a blur, a whirlwind of adjusting to a new reality. Danica and I have been living under the same roof, trying to navigate this complicated situation as best we can. The tension between us remains palpable, the strain of our circumstances weighing heavily on both of us.

Today, we find ourselves in the pack's healer's office, awaiting the moment when we will catch a glimpse of the baby. I sit beside her, my leg bouncing nervously, my thoughts a chaotic mess. It's my first time seeing the baby, our baby, and the conflicting emotions swirling within me intensify the closer we get to the ultrasound.

The healer enters the room, a warm smile gracing her face as she greets us. She reassures Danica, explaining the procedure and how it will all work. I try to focus on her words, on the technicalities of the ultrasound, but my mind is consumed by a myriad of thoughts and emotions.

Danica lies down on the examination table, her eyes filled with a mixture of anticipation and uncertainty. As the healer applies the gel and moves the ultrasound wand over her abdomen, a sense of awe washes over me. The screen comes to life, revealing the tiny form of our baby, a flickering heartbeat that resonates through the room.

My heart skips a beat as I gaze at the screen, witnessing the miracle of life unfolding before my eyes. It's a profound moment, and for a brief instant, all the doubts and reservations melt away. I feel a surge of connection, a sense of responsibility and protectiveness towards this tiny being and their mother.

But as quickly as the wave of emotions comes, it recedes, replaced by the weight of our strained relationship. I steal a glance at Danica, her eyes fixed on the screen, a mixture of joy and vulnerability in her expression. It's a reminder of the complex web we're tangled in, the reality of our situation that I can't escape.

The healer's voice breaks through my thoughts, pointing out different features of the baby on the screen. I try my best to focus, to absorb the wonder of this moment, but deep down, the uncertainties and the strained feelings still linger.

I try to wrap my head around the timeline. It's been about three months since Danica and I were last intimate. I don't know much about pregnancies, but it seems like everything adds up. Still, there's this nagging voice in the back of my mind, questioning if the baby is really mine. It's messed up, and I feel guilty for even entertaining the thought.

I should trust Danica. She's carrying our child, and she deserves my support.

Taking a deep breath, I remind myself to be there for Danica. Reaching out to her, our fingers intertwine, and I give her a reassuring smile. I want her to know that I'm committed, that I'm ready to be the father our baby needs.

As we step out of the healer's office, I make a silent promise to myself. I will be there for our child no matter what.

This is bigger than my own desires. There's a child that needs me—my child.