Something I Never Saw Coming

Trevor

With a guttural roar, I brought my bike to a screeching halt, the gravel digging into my leg and forearm, sending sharp pain through my body. My heart raced as I saw Elliot rolling in the distance, her own painful stop. "Fuck!" I screamed, pushing myself to my feet, desperate to reach her.

The impact still throbbed in my body, but I couldn't let it slow me down. "Elliot!" I shouted desperately as I made my way to her. My relief was palpable as I saw her head lift; she was alive.

But that moment of relief quickly turned into torment as one of the winged beasts approached, and I realized I was too far away. "Hey!" I screamed, waving my arms in the air, attempting to get its attention, but it seemed determined to reach her.

Seconds stretched into an eternity as I ran towards them, desperation welling in my chest. My inner wolf clawed at my consciousness, eager to break free, to protect the one I would give my life to safe.

The truth hit me hard as I closed the distance; there would be nothing I could do when I reached them. I was no better than a human in the face of these creatures, and I knew I would die trying to save her. But it didn't matter; none of it did if she was gone.

My feet pounded the ground with a newfound intensity as I raced towards her. One of the winged creatures tore into her flesh, letting out a deafening sound as its claws dug in.

Blood spilled from her wounds, and something inside me snapped. My wolf demanded release. Clothes, bone, and skin ripped and shredded, and I became the creature I truly was. A beast intent on bringing death to the monster who held his female.

Reaching the cliff, I didn't hesitate. I dove, my own claws and teeth finding purchase. My teeth digging into the beast's neck. I tore it's life away. He released her; his own body limp. She was falling now- arms splayed wide as if she could grasp something, anything to slow her decent.

I was on her in moments, my wolf had a mouthful of her hair in his muzzle as she clung to my enormous form. We were spiraling towards the ground, free falling for what felt like an eternity before we met the water beneath. We sank, and my wolf struggled to keep hold of her in this form. "Shift!" I demanded of my inner beast, and he released his hold on me, returning me to my human form.

Gasping for breath, I took in a lung full of murky water, I breeched the surface, her limp body pressed tightly to mine. Waves lapped at my face as I navigated debris, making my way to the bank. With every ounce of my strength, I pulled us onto the red clay knees dragging us through the mess of it.

Her side and wrist wounds still seeped blood steadily, and I pressed against them, trying to stop the bleeding. Tears stung my eyes as I held my ear to her chest; she wasn't breathing. I began chest compressions and gave her breath, desperately trying to bring her back to me. My body shook with desperation. It couldn't end like this.

I wouldn't stop. I willed her to breathe—to look into my eyes just one more time. "El, please." I begged.

It felt like an eternity, but finally, she coughed, water expelled from her lungs. Gasping for breath, I pulled her close, knees digging into the clay.

Gunfire sounded from above, and another gripheon fell from the sky, spiraling down in a mess of wings and golden fur, a battle still raging around us.

I clutched Elliot to my chest, my heart pounding not only from the exertion but from the fear that still gripped me. Her eyelids fluttered, and I pressed a kiss to her forehead. She was alive, and that was all that mattered.

Another creature crashed to the ground not too far away, and I knew more could be lurking. I needed to get us to safety.

Cradling her in my arms, I scanned our surroundings. The riverbank wasn't the place to stay, and the trees beckoned as our best chance for concealment. I struggled with silent determination, knowing I couldn't afford to be discovered. The forest loomed ahead, and with every step, I prayed that no more of those winged demons would swoop down on us.

We reached the cover of the trees, their branches offering sanctuary. It was a temporary reprieve, but one we desperately needed. Keeping her tight to my chest, I leaned against a large oak- my bare back sliding down the roughness as not to disturb her. Her breathing was steadier now.

My attention turned to the wounds on her side and wrist. I tore a piece of fabric from her ruined clothing and fashioned makeshift bandages to slow the bleeding. I couldn't do much more without proper supplies, but it would have to suffice for now.