Chapter 8

The sheer amount of panic that ran through my veins at the sight before me is indescribable. Tears silently rolled down my face as I watched the doctor from the CDC attach the AED to Tim.

It took four shocks with the AED and consistent CPR in between before Tim finally came back and by then I was sobbing images of me raising Toby all alone racing through my mind as I heard his ribs crack from the compressions. When finally I heard the doctor tell me he was back I swear I almost passed out with relief.

When we got to the hospital Tim was still unconscious but after being looked over by the ER Doctor everything seemed to be fine now that they got his allergic reaction under control. It felt like for the first time all day I could breathe because He was alive and he was going to be okay and that was all I can ask for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few hours later

The doctors said that Tim should wake up any minute. I had Genny drop Toby off about an hour ago with an over night bag and his pack and play from my car.

I owe Genny big after this.

I watched my husband sleep in the hospital bed and my son sleep in his pack n play.

It wasn't until I was walking out of the bathroom after making Toby his last bottle for the day that I heard a groan coming  from the bed in the center of the room.

"Dolly?" He croaks out

" Hey Baby." I said setting the bottle down as I made my way to his bed side again where I grabbed his hand tightly in one hand and caressed his face with the other never being so happy to see those beautiful blue eyes.

"What happened?" Tim asked as he groaned his chest was killing him his ribs ached and he had a killer headache

"You had an allergic reaction to the vaccine and had a seizure." I told him while hitting the nurse call button " you died Tim... Your heart stopped for almost five minutes... I was so scared." I spoke as I racked my hand through his hair as I brought our foreheads together with tears in my eyes again

" I'm ok now I am not going anywhere I promise." He said reaching up and cupping the back of my neck but right before I leaned in to kiss him we heard babbling as Toby let us know that he was still awake and I knew if I didn't feed him soon he wouldn't be to happy.

I went and picked Toby up from his pack n play and brought him over to Tim who had a giant smile on his face at seeing our son and quickly brought his bed up into a sitting position.

" Hey buddy." He said while he took Toby from me into his arms. I grabbed Toby's bottle and handed it to Tim and sat back and watched Tim feed our baby.

The image of the doctor and paramedics working on Tim trying to bring him back raced across my vision and the thought of just how differently this night could have been makes me cherish this moment even more. Tim had a faint smile as he talked to Toby. Making the child laugh and giggle as he made funny faces and made little noises.

It didn't take long though for Toby to finish his bottle and fall asleep on Tim's shoulder.

"I was terrified." Tim whispered so lowly I wasn't even sure I heard it.

" What?"

" I was terrified. I spent the entire day locked up in that room waiting to become symptomatic. And honestly it wasn't dying that scared me it was the thought of leaving you and leaving Toby. I kept imagining you having to raise him all alone and I know you would've had support but still the thought of leaving you guys tore me up inside." Tim confessed with tears in his eyes.

"I'm so sorry baby I can't even imagine what that must have been like. But I knew what I signed up for when I married you and even if, God forbid, I had lost you the years we have had would be worth it." I Told him as I took his hand with tears in my eyes "Your worth it, Tim."

Tim didn't respond but instead he looked at me like I was the center of his universe. Like I was his everything. I  did my best to let him know that he turns my world with the look in my eyes and I could tell he got the message.

Less than ten minutes later I was snapping the most beautiful picture of Tim sleeping with a sleeping Toby on his chest. That night I felt to sleep feeling like I could finally breathe for the first time in 18 hours.