three

"MORNING EVERYONE,"

belly said as she entered the kitchen.

the room immediately shined brighter and erupted into 'hey's and 'happy birthday's.

"theres the birthday girl, looking like a vision in floral," susannah said as she smiled and embraced her. "happy birthday."

the moment she was on her way, jeremiah was dipping down and wrapping his arms around her. "happy sweet 16, bells."

"now belly button's getting old finally," steven joked as he grabbed a piece of bacon to eat. "happy birthday."

belly laughed. "thanks, everyone."

laurel was the next to embrace her daughter. "happy birthday, sweetheart."

"thanks, mom," she smiled sweetly.

and before anyone else could steal her away, molly was hopping off her stool next to conrad and wrapping her arms around her younger sister. "happy birthday, belly."

"thank you, molly," she giggled.

"you're mickey mouse pancakes are ready," laurel said.

belly's face dropped. "actually, i'm not really, uh, hungry."

"oh," laurel replied, trying to hide the disappointment in her voice.

susannah watched the whole scene unfold. "shall we open gifts?" she asked, trying to relieve some of the awkwardness.

"oh," jeremiah grunted as held up his colorful box. "you're gonna love mine."

they all headed into the living room, belly seated in the middle. laurel, susannah and steven all shared the L shaped couch, conrad on the one-seater while jeremiah and molly sat on the floor together.

they watched anxiously as belly tore open the colorful 'happy birthday' wrapping paper to reveal a book.

"it's a first edition. i got it from a rare book dealer," laurel said excitedly.

belly didn't look too impressed. "thanks, mom."

"turn to the bookmarked page," she instructed. "it's your favorite poem," she said to her best friend.

the birthday girl giggled. "oh, yeah. i remember susannah teaching us to recite this. for whatever we lose..."

"like a you or a me its always ourselves we find in the sea," they all said in unison.

she closed the book with a bright smile. "thank you. i love it."

"you're welcome," laurel said, returning the smile.

susannah excitedly held out her gift. "ok, open mine now, belly."

she took the small box wrapped in white and gently shook it before tearing off the paper. inside was a small black box with pearls. "oh, wow. they're gorgeous. thank you, susannah."

she got up to sit beside belly, taking the jewelry out. "my mom gave me these pearls for my sweet 16. and i already sent molly hers, so i thought it was only right that you got one too." she pulled her hair aside and allowed her to clip it behind her neck. "radiant, isn't she?"