six

"CONNIE."

molly said sternly.

"i just don't think its a good idea. she doesn't want me there and honestly, maybe she's right about what she said," she added.

conrad looked at her through his phone screen. "are you kidding me, molly?" he poured a handful of popcorn into his mouth and shook his head. "it's your home just as much as it is ours. and you already know the divorce wasn't your fault. sometimes people just grow apart."

"everyone says that," she said. "it just feels like they're trying to make me feel better about it."

"they're not. it's just the truth," he replied. "people change and sometimes that means so do feelings. they just grew apart. it isn't your fault."

she sighed and grabbed her phone, crawling under the comforter and pulling it closer to her so her forehead and the top of her eyes were in the camera. "i don't know about this, connie."

he glared at her through the screen. "molly, please. we all miss you. i need my best friend here to stop the intrusive thoughts."

she couldn't help but laugh. a real genuine laugh. "we both know i can't stop those no matter how hard i try."

"please?" he begged. "jere's been moping around for the past two days. he's been all depressed. he won't even go to the beach with us anymore. dude, he's not even up for parties."

she feigned shock and dramatically gasped. "wow, he's not up for parties?"

"molly, i'm serious," he said. "he misses you. we all do. it literally sucks."

she huffed out a breath. "but still. you know how awkward it'll be between me and belly?"

"screw it. just come back for us. you know, your favorite trio? me, steven, and jere?" he smiled.

"definitely not my favorite," she retorted.

he laughed to himself. "no need to lie."

"connie. i'm serious," she said sternly.

he feigned hurt. "you must really not like us then."

"no, about belly," molly corrected. "she made her opinion on me very clear."

"look, you don't need to talk to her," he said suggestively. "my mom bought you a ticket for tomorrow, so i'll pick you up and bring you back. then you just avoid her until she apologizes. it's not your fault if you're still upset."

she sighed and looked past the phone at the tv. "i don't know."

"molly, don't do this. don't overthink it. you're gonna be fine, you'll have me with you the whole time. i promise you," he said reassuringly. "so i'll see you tomorrow?"

she couldn't say no. not when susannah had done so much for her already and paid for the ticket. "i guess so."

"can't breathe," she mumbled breathlessly, tapping on conrads arm to get him to loosen his death grip around her.

"sorry," he said with a chuckle, pulling away to look at her. "just feels like i haven't seen you in years."