Chapter Seven

Chapter 7: The Reckoning

"INMATES!"

The shrill bark of a prison guard wakes Ted from his slumber as he lies on the torture device that is his bunk, a book from the law library that had been uninteresting enough to put him to sleep splayed over his face.

He groans, letting his head fall back onto the stiff mattress below him as he debates getting up or not, but eventually the frantic hammering of the prison bars becomes too much to bear and he sits up as he's told.

"Bundy! Get over here you need to go to recreation"

With a scowl and a sigh, the man heaves himself out of the bed and walks over 
to the cell door to face the officer, who taps at the rusty bars impatiently as he waits.

"Can't I just wait it out in here like I usually do?"

Ted pleads, a yawn leaving his lips as he snaps out of his drowsy state.

"After all, I need the extra time to recruit information to build my court case with the books you've given me from the law library... As I'm no longer allowed in there by myself since my last escape" 

He reasons as if he wasn't just sleeping on top of those same books.

"Yeah, sneaky bastard you are... Don't be trying anything like that again, I mean it" The man replies with a harsh tone, a look of skepticality painted across his features.

"And no, you can't stay here" 
Ted deflates in disappointment.

"It's because we've been instructed to search all the cells. A hacksaw has gone missing from the electrical department, and we can't have any of you fuckers in here with a weapon"

He continues, noticing the man's discouragement at his words.

Shit. The hacksaw.

"Okay, as you wish..." Ted complies, stepping out into the hall along with the other inmates. 

"But you'll keep the search brief in here if you know what's good for you... You still owe me, remember?"' 

The criminal says in an hushed tone as he walks past the guard, a threatening glance thrown his way before he turns to join the queue just as everyone else.

~
Recreation is excruciating as ever, 
the international fame Ted had gained from his status as a serial killer had rendered him a lot of unwanted attention in the prison community, recieving all kinds of threats and humiliations from his peers.

Thankfully, over the years it quieted down, somewhat... reduced to a mere few comments here and there from his fellow inmates, but he didn't mind it all that much as he'd gotten used to this treatment.

He can't help but notice that today he seems to be getting a lot more attention than usual, to his dismay.

The snickering and glaring of the crowds surrounding him as he desperately tries to keep to himself and appear unfazed as he's doing it... not wanting to be involved in any more trouble than he already has.

"Well I'll be damned! Bundy's a fag" one of the more prominent voices resonates in the background, that of one of his usual tormentors... A man that never seemed to relent when it came to his humiliations regarding Bundy.

Asshole. I'd knock your teeth out if I cared enough to put in the effort.

"Are you seeing this??" The voice laughs behind him. 

"Teddy's little boyfriend wrote him a murder memoir!" 

Ted's ears perk up upon hearing those words, confused as to what they could be talking about this time.