Chapter Thirteen

Chapter 13: Fearfully Yours

Ted's pov:

I sleep comfortably for the first time in what I'd only imagine to have been years, the soft morning light beaming through the windows and slowly bringing me back to awareness with its presence and glow over my closed eyes.

As I begin to wake up I find my hands wandering across the opposite side of the bed as if searching for something I hadn't yet registered, exploring the extent of the ruffled sheets and covers that brush against my fingertips before concluding that something was missing with a newfound dissatisfaction.

I open my eyes and gaze around the room, and just as I do the previous night's events dawn over me like a wave of remembrance and guilt crashing over dark conflicted seas.

I sigh. I ask myself where Jeffrey might be if not beside me, but at the same time a part of me is grateful and hoping he won't ever come back so I won't have to face the reality of what we had done.

Yet, past those thoughts and hopes, I can't help but wonder why I had so intensely hoped to find him next to me upon waking up.

It was instinctual, I reached for him in body and soul while my rational mind was still absent and unable to leave me debilitated by doubt and fear, which only leaves me further distraught now...

With that thought, I sit up with a sharp inhale and gaze through the corridor into the living room, hoping to get a clue with regards to Jeff's whereabouts.

I can vaguely make out his silhouette, sprawled over the couch in the neighbouring room, his legs crossed and propped up over the heading as he lies in a position that transmits discomfort above anything else.

His hair is messy and his glasses are placed incorrectly over the bridge of his nose as he remains asleep with what appears to be a women's fashion magazine covering his chest, which he had presumably been reading, at some point.

I can't help but chuckle at the sight of him, and soon he's awake and glaring at me through furrowed brows with a look of confusion upon hearing my silent snickering.

"Good morning" 

He says mechanically with a yawn, rubbing his eyes before fixing his crooked lenses and ruffled hair.

I stay silent, suddenly overwhelmed by embarrassment and apprehensiveness at reciprocating something as simple as even a 'good morning' in fear that it might reflect the slightest bit of sentiment towards him.

Jeff doesn't seem to pay any mind to this, still in his drowsy state.

He quickly buttons up his shirt once he is lucid enough to notice that it is missing every single button but the very last, causing it to hang completely open and leaving him exposed.

I smirk, trying to contain my laughter once more as I watch the befuddled blonde before me, but to no surprise I fail. 

He appears serious at first, but he eventually breaks and smiles just slightly at me, a shy expression.

Not a lot had happened between us, but it was still enough to leave us both slightly embarrassed, yet not opposed to anythingNot at all.