Chapter Eight

Chapter 8: The Beginning Of The End

Countless visits later....

Jeffrey's pov:

I'd argue that more than stupidity, it was loneliness that drove me to this point in my life.

Visiting a man that brought me more pain than anything else, but despite it all, I still I find myself returning to him...

Just as I feared, I can't look back now.

And neither can he.

This is it.

With the buzz of metallic gates, I walk through the maze-like halls of the prison and reach the visitation room that had become ever so familiar to me out of habit.

To my dismay, the only person that understands me happens to be one who's equally as destructive.

And now I must bear the consequences of his latest wrongdoings regarding myself.

The destruction of what I one day could have been, If I hadn't come back to you now...

His eyes remain fixed on me through the usual dirty glass screen with a smirk. One that I find especially irritating, knowing the source of his amusement.

I sit, arms crossed around myself as I stare him down.Fuming as I contemplate his smug smile.

Theodore you son of a bitch.

He greets me, breaking the silence, but I maintain mine. His gaze narrows at my reluctance to engage in conversation with the blackmailing asshole he is.

"Not going to talk to me? Fine. I won't relent... Either way there's plenty to look at, you won't bore me."

He sticks to his promise over course of the next few moments. His gaze fixed on mine.

I wonder when it is he'll stop the bullshit charming facade and actually speak to me sincerely.

Or is he going to continue to look past my anger and act like everything is okay?

Has it ever been okay?

"...I could gaze into your eyes all day and wonder what's going through your mind..." He continues.

"Tell me, Jeffrey. What's going through your mind right now?"

"Fuck you"

He smiles.

"Oh, he speaks! Very insightful as always.I'm sure I can grasp the reasoning behind your bitterness but I very much want to hear you say it..."

"You want to hear me say it? Fine.
I was taken into questioning for the recent murders in Milwaukee because you sent an anonymous tip about me to the police. Are you fucking insane?? What the fuck is wrong with you???" I raise my voice, feeling everyone's eyes on me as I speak.

"Watch your mouth, Jeffrey" he snaps back, a cutting yet calm tone in his voice.

"You should be in here with me. I won't hesitate to run my mouth even more and implicate you in my crimes as well as reveal yours... And knowing you, you've probably gone back to that life. Even after I cleared your apartment of any feasible evidence and basically helped you start anew... "

"...Your life? Your freedom? They belong to me, darling. And I can take them back just as I gave them to you"

I feel a debilitating heat invade my features, my blood boiling as I choke on the lump in my throat, hot tears threatening to leave my eyes as rage and frustration consume me.

How can you be so selfish to destroy my life as well as yours?

"Why?" I manage to pronounce.

"Why is it you hurt anyone that dares to come close to you? From where the need to submit me to so much suffering? One you promised I wouldn't face if I helped you"