Chapter 2

Berrykit was angry. I can't believe Maplekit stole from me again! First it had been the perfect moss-ball he had made, and now it was the cool feather he had found. Just because she's bigger and older than me! His mom, Daisymist, looked down at him as he grumbled and buried deeper into her fur.

"You're not still mad about that feather, are you?" she purred with amusement. "It's not funny." Berrykit responded. His mother blinked. "Of course not. But you know she said she lost it, or she would have given it back." she mewed gently. Lies. Berrykit had seen the feather tucked just under her nest, but she had told him not to tell anybody. At least Mistkit and Ivykit are nice to me. Berrykit sighed. I wish I had littermates. They're all so close to each other.

"Cheer up. You get to watch a warrior ceremony today!" Daisymist told him excitedly. One day I'll be the one having a warrior ceremony. Berrykit smiled. Warriors don't sulk. I'll go back out there and play with the rest of the kits!

Berrykit stepped out of the nursery and trotted over to join the three kits in the clearing. Maplekit rolled her eyes but made no comment. "Can I play with you?" he asked. "Sure!" Ivykit rolled a reddish-looking pebble towards him. "One of us is going to hide this pebble, and the rest will try to find it." she finished.

Maplekit, Mistkit, and Berrykit closed their eyes as Ivykit went off to hide the pebble. After Berrykit felt Ivykit prod him, he opened his eyes. The other two kits immediately bounded off. Hmm... where would Ivykit hide it? He padded towards the elder's den, which had bunches of plants encircling it, a perfect hiding place. When Berrykit was about half way there, Echostar suddenly jumped onto the Clanrock and addressed the cats in the clearing. "Everybody gather around the Clanrock for a meeting!" He hollered, his voice carrying around the ShadowClan camp.

The rest of the clan made a ragged circle around him, and the four kits slowly joined them. Only Mousepaw and Dustpaw stood in the middle. "The clan is in desperate need of new warriors, and today two of them are ready to serve their clan fully." Echostar exclaimed. He turned his gaze toward the circle of cats. "Blackstorm, has your apprentice, Mousepaw, learned the skills needed to be a warrior?" Blackstorm nodded. "She has." he mewed. Echostar looked at Sharpblood. "Sharpblood, has your apprentice, Dustpaw, learned the necessary skills of a warrior?" "She has." exclaimed Sharpblood.

Echostar jumped down from the Clanrock and padded up to the two apprentices. "I, Echostar, leader of ShadowClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on these apprentices. They have trained hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them to you as warriors in their turn. Mousepaw and Dustpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?" Mousepaw faced him steadily. "I do." she replied. "I do" Dustpaw mewed a bit more nervously. "Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior names. Mousepaw, from this moment on you will be known as Mouseleaf. StarClan honors your bravery and your hunting skills, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Echostar bent down to touch Mouseleaf's nose and Mouseleaf licked his shoulder. He then turned to face Dustpaw. "Dustpaw, from this moment of you will be known as Dustlight. StarClan honors your cleverness and your stealth, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan." Echostar touched his nose to Dustlight's as she licked his shoulder.

"Mouseleaf! Dustlight! Mouseleaf! Dustlight!" The clan chanted as the two new warriors happily greeted their mother, Ravenscar. She purred and nuzzled her kits.

Suddenly, Berrykit's attention was drawn away from the ceremony as he spotted something underneath the Clanrock. There! It was the red pebble. He squeaked in excitement and raced towards it, running through the circle of cats and almost knocking into Echostar in the process. His thoughts were elsewhere though, and he took no notice of the cats gaping at him.

As he finally reached the pebble and looked up, he was met with a hot flash of embarrassment as he realized the whole clan was staring at him. Oops.

Berrykit sulked away as quietly as possible next to the other kits. They were all snickering and Ivykit head-butted him. At least I got the pebble! That means I won! He lifted his tail higher in the air and greeted the other kits with a smile.

I know this ended abruptly but it was getting kind of long.

Don't forget to up-vote this story if you like it :)