The Odd One Out

1

There are two people Zero talked about a lot in his mails: His friend, Eight. And his rival, Nine. Since One is going to visit Nine, she felt it to be appropriate if she talked about her for a bit.

Nine is the founder and leader of Odd. She is someone that Zero saw as his rival. As she stands on the same stage as him and yet resides on the other side of the glass wall. Because of that fact, they clashed. Why? One has no clue. She was sure that Zero mentioned it before but she wasn't paying attention. One back then didn't want to hear about Zero's philosophical ramblings with Nine, she was more interested in the food he ate and the sights he saw. One wanted to punch herself because if she remembered what Zero said then it would make her job so much easier.

...In any case, what was she talking about before? Ah, right. The clash. As Zero and Nine continue their clash, other people saw the light they produced. Some were drawn to Nine's light, and others to Zero's. They each took their side and joined a struggle that One doesn't know why is happening in the first place. If Zero was here then all she could do is ask him.

But she can't do that right now. Zero is behind a wall that One could never penetrate.

"We're here!" Seven proudly said as he showed One a building in front of them. "Welcome to our base!"

"...This is your base?"

"Yup!"

"Ah..." One looked at the base in front of him. It is a U-shaped building with five floors. The building is totally decrepit and it looked like it hasn't been maintained for a long time. The windows are shattered, there are mosses everywhere and One could feel an overwhelming sense of dread emanating from it, as if a ghost could pop out any second. Looking at this ancient building reminded her of the books she read all the time.

"What is this place?" One asked.

"This is the old school building," Seven answered. "Looks pretty drab for a base, isn't it?"

"Not really! I've always wanted to explore places like these! They always have some treasure hiding in the darkness.

"Last time I checked, the treasure I found was a spider's nest. It didn't go well," Seven said. "But I'm glad you like the place." Seven walked ahead of One. He made his way to the door and open it. Seven turned his head to One and signal her to come inside, then he entered the building. Not wanting to be left behind, One followed him into the old school building.

The interior if the old school building is exactly what you would expect when you hear the word 'abandoned building.' The broken glasses from outside are still here, torn school furniture's are pushed to the side, spiders and insects crawl along the wall without a care in the world, and this may just be her imagination but she could've sworn something eerie passed by her. This building is the most 'abandoned' building she has ever seen. Which isn't much since this is her first.

But despite that, the building oddly smells nice and she hasn't noticed any dusts. She guessed that since they stay here, they have to do something to at least make it livable to a normal person.

But it still doesn't stop One from raising some questions. "Are you sure this is your base? Are you sure you're not just taking me to random spot in the school because you don't want me to meet Nine? You're going to beat me up, aren't you?"

"Yes, this is our base," Seven said. "And if I do want to beat you up, I wouldn't do it in our base. Nine would kill me."

"Right. Well, I just find it...odd that Odd's base happen to be this. Considering how popular you guys are, I expect to be more...clean? Organized? Something that makes you guys more legit."