Y/N Helps A Stranger Having a Panic Attack

tw: anxiety, panic attack

You're walking through the city streets to your favorite coffee shop.  As you pass through a local park, you see a woman — maybe fifteen to twenty years older than you — sitting on the ground under a tree, curled up in a ball, hyperventilating.  She's holding onto her chest, and you can tell she's having a hard time breathing.

"Hey, my love, are you alright?" you jog over, sitting down in front of her.
"I- I can't breathe," she stutters, looking at you with complete and utter fear in her eyes.
"Okay, okay.  It's alright, baby.  Do you think you're having a panic attack?" you softly ask her, taking her hands in yours.
She nods frantically, and she squeezes your hands.
"Okay, alright.  You're gonna be okay, alright?  I promise.  What's your name, hun?" you smile, rubbing circles on her hands with your thumbs.
"Um... um... H/N."
"Okay, H/N, I'm Y/N. I'm gonna help you calm down, okay?"
She nods, tears forming in her eyes.  "You don't have to do this... it's alright, really..."
"Hey, no, no, it's no problem, really. I'm not doing anything right now," you smile, hoping H/N will trust you enough to let you help her.  "How about you breathe with me?"
She nods gratefully and takes a shaky breath in with you.

"You ever get one of these before?" you ask her, guessing the answer.
"Yeah, but, uh, not usually this bad."
"I get them, too. Just keep breathing with me, okay, love?" you smile, and she nods.
"I'm scared..."
"It's okay, sweetie, you're okay, alright?  I'm not going anywhere."

You continue to help H/N through her panic attack until she relaxes into the touch of your hands and the sound of your voice.

"Thank you for helping me.  I really appreciate it.  Thank you so much," she says, squeezing your hand.
"Of course."
"Hey, could I, uh, get your number or something?"
"Oh!  Yeah!  Definitely!" you say, pulling up your contacts app on your phone.

"It was so nice meeting you.  Thank you again," H/N waves, turning to leave.
"Anytime.  I'm glad I found you when I did.  Hey, uh, you free right now?" you question.  H/N is attractive and you are single.
"Yeah!  I am!  Why?"
"I was um... wondering... do you wanna go get coffee or something?" you ask, hopeful she'll say yes.
"Yeah!  Coffee sounds great!  Know any good places nearby?  I only moved here, like, two weeks ago," she laughs.
"Yes, I do!  I've lived here practically my whole life,"you chuckle.  "Come on, let's go."  You smile, slinging an arm around your new friend as you guide her in the direction of your favorite coffee shop in town.

word count: 477
thanks for reading !  hope you all enjoyed <3
don't forget to vote, comment, and follow !!