a view to a kill

1985

i walk around the second level of this tall tower of rusted metal, weaving through the many thrilled tourists gathered to sightsee from high above. it's a breathtaking view, but i find it impossible to focus on. because i know something these happy tourists don't.

with a serious look on my face, i press a button on my earpiece and contact the others, asking how much time is left

with a serious look on my face, i press a button on my earpiece and contact the others, asking how much time is left. not much more, is what i'm answered with. damn it.

i lean against the railing, looking out over the gorgeous paris scenery. i debate whether to inform the tourists or not. tell them all to get the hell off this tower as soon as they can? they'd probably think i've lost it. or take up my offer too late.

i turn around as i'm hearing nick encouraging his model—is he crazy? am i the only one on this stupid tower who cares about their life? i look up. i see a young woman on the floor, sitting crisscross. she looks off put. maybe she doesn't like heights.

i then huff and brush pass nick, earning a, "watch where you're going, john!" as i go down a level to look for andy. he's acting blind, tapping a cane around on the metal floors with his dark shades on.

"andy, we don't have much time left," i mutter anxiously as i stand next to him

"andy, we don't have much time left," i mutter anxiously as i stand next to him. he nods as he lowers his sunglasses. "i know; isn't it scheduled for two o'clock?" he responds, and i nod.

"yeah, it's one fifty right now," i say as i glance to my watch. i notice my hands are shaking as i stuff them back into my coat pockets. my palms begin to sweat. this is a real life bond situation and it's makes me feel sick.

"there's a girl two levels up," i say as i then lean against the railing next to andy. "she doesn't look like she's enjoying being up high," i add as i look to andy. i can't explain it, but i feel the penetrating urge to save that girl from the inevitable explosion.

andy mumbles. "hmm. well," he chews his lip. he doesn't go on, he just looks at me with an unsure shrug of his shoulders. it causes my brain to to haywire and i'm annoyed that both of us don't know what to do.