London Boy

I'm home

But the colour of the walls doesn't look right 

And you're missing from the picture frames

And I've been searching for the right words all night 

'Cause if I'm home, I'm home

Then where are you?

 - Home, from FOUR's third album, Changes 

With midterms over, it's like I can breathe again. And with the fact that I actually have some spare time now - and I need something to fill it with so I don't go mad thinking about Holland - I'm heading home for the weekend.

Also, you know, there's the fact that I do sort of miss my family. Best part is, Anthony's home visiting as well. It feels like it's been ages since I've seen my older brother. With both of us out of the house, our face time is sort of reduced to holidays.

I'm sitting on my bed, packing and wishing to anyone that might listen that it doesn't rain during the long commute - a bus, then skytrain, then ferry, then bus - when Maggie comes in to my room.

"Going home?" she asks, eying the luggage. "Or?"

"Don't look at me like that," I say. "I'm not going to go visit Holland again. That would be ridiculous; it's so soon. Besides, I haven't been home in ages."

"True," Maggie says. "My parents would be going crazy."

I shrug. "My dad's pretty busy." I smirk. "Besides, I'm pretty sure he's dating someone and hasn't got the guts to tell Anthony and I. We've been comparing notes, and there's too many signs. So that should be fun."

"Ooh, another stepmommy?" Maggie says in a singsong voice, and I stick my tongue out at her.

She's just teasing - my dads had a few girlfriends over the years, but they've all been really nice.

Other than his last girlfriend, the one he had during my last year of highschool. Her name was Kayleigh, and she was - well. She was a force of nature, that's for sure. She wanted a family, and she wanted me and Anthony to be a part of that. She and my dad didn't get married or anything, but after they had been dating for a year, she started going around calling herself our stepmother.

Let's just say the relationship ended pretty quickly after that.

"God, I hope not," I say. "I'd like to say my dad's smarter than that, but - you know. I'm sure it gets lonely."

"Oh my god," Maggie says. "I never thought I'd see the day you got all sappy."

"I'm not sappy," I say. "I'm just trying to be understanding!"

"No," Maggie says. "You fall in love and it's only a matter of time until you turn into that couple always trying to set their friends up, because they can't imagine not being in a relationship. Though," she says, with a thoughtful look on her face, "I wouldn't mind Holland trying to set me up with one of his friends."

"God," I say, "you're like a shark. I'll have to tell Holland to warn his friends."

Maggie brightens. "Do you think we'll get to meet the band? Oh my gosh, did you see the pictures Ever posted? He's so dreamy..." She wanders off, sighing.

I shake my head for a moment. Maggie can be a force of nature when she lays her eyes on something - or someone - that she wants, and I usually feel bad for any guy who gets in her way. Her attention usually hits them like a truck.