8. Lachlan

"Get out of my way! Move!", I half shout, half growl at all the idiots crowding her. Millie rang in a panic. The haunted house hired a firework display as a surprise for their 5th anniversary. Millie is sitting beside Aida, crying, rubbing her shoulders and whispering "I'm sorry Aida, I didn't know. I didn't know". I'm not sure Aida can hear her. It's just like that night. I don't think Aida remembers much of what happened after she was hit.

I cleared everyone out of the way and called the ambulance. I sat with her, trying my best to carry out the paramedics instructions until the ambulance arrived. We couldn't find her phone to get through to her parents. Her friend was somewhere at the party, but I wasn't leaving Aida's side. When the ambulance crew arrived, I held her hand, trying to comfort her. She was screaming intermittently, as if she was drifting in and out of consciousness and only half registering the pain. We travelled to the hospital together. They wouldn't let me into the trauma bay until after they had assessed her. I think I stopped every nurse, and every doctor that walked past me, asking for updates. Some turned me down immediately, because I wasn't family. Others took pity on me, having heard I was there and stayed with her on site. They finally got through to her parents, who arrived in hysterics. Her mother got me in a bone crushing hug, sobbing on my shoulder, thanking me for not letting her daughter die. Her father walked up to me, offered a handshake. Mr Fitz was the toughest man around. Everyone knew that, but when his hand connected with mine, I saw one lonely tear sweep down his face. 5 hours later, her father came back out. I assume he was just getting coffee, because when he saw me still waiting there, his eyes widened, his mouth forming a little o. He sat down beside me, placed one hand on my back and explained what happened. Aida had just come out of surgery. She has 3rd degree burns in and around her eye. There was no saving it. She has an enucleation surgery to remove her eye and she would have to wear a patch and get a prosthetic eye. Looking back now, I should've left the man alone, he was grieving in a way. He'd just found out he could lost his daughter, got her back, knowing her life was forever changed. Instead, I grilled him for as much medical information as possible. I needed to know exactly what happened because realistically, she may not have been there if I had stepped in earlier. I never told her dad that. I also never told Aida I was there.

I walk up to her, slowly, as if approaching a wild animal. She's shaking, hiding in the corner, tears streaming down the right side of her face. She's pale and shivering. I take off my jacket and put it around her. The shaking slows. "Aida, sweetheart? Can you hear me?". She continues to shake, rocking back and forward. I try again. This time, she nods. It's a tiny movement, but I see it. I brush my knuckles down her ice cold arm. "Sweetheart, it's not real.it can't hurt you, it's not real." I repeat this mantra again and again until the rocking slows. Her breathing is erratic, but somehow she manages to call my name in a breathless whisper. It's the last thing that happens before she passes out. I cradle her head in my lap, slowly moving the rest of her in such a way that I can carry her. Once I have her settled in my arms, I get up, and walk through the path the crowd has made for me. The whole event has been paused, and all the staff and lining the exits of each room, holding the doors open for me as I carry her limp body to my car. Millie follows behind me, shouting at each member of staff through her tears. 'There were no fireworks advertising you imbecile', she shouts, at each staff member. I feel sorry for them, because in reality it's not their fault. They're mostly students, looking to make some extra cash. We make it inside, and I place Aida in the back seat, lying with her head raised so as not to choke if she vomits or tries to swallow her tongue. I ask Millie to meet me at Aida's, and then I floor it, Millie's Opel Corsa following behind me.

Millie and I are chatting in the kitchen when we hear Aida scream. We both drop our mugs and run into her room. Polly is in her cage, singing Milkshake like her little life depends on it. She knows something has happened. She knows something is wrong. "Aida, it's okay, we're here", Millie says, hopping onto the bed to wrap her arms around her. I stay standing at the doorway. Tonight was my first time in her room. We have been hanging out more and getting to know each other better these last couple weeks but she's never invited me to her room. She looks around, as if taking stock of her surroundings, confirming to herself that she's safe. When her eyes find me, she offers a weak smile.