Chapter 1

Hey, did you hear that?!

It sounded like an explosion! You think it was from the private labs?

Yep. It sounded like a big one, and there's only one cookie who would mess with magic that destructive...

Yeah... we should probably head to class. Don't want to get caught up in one of her insane experiments.

Yep, who knows what she would do with us if she thinks we're interested.

...

"Dammit... not again!" You said as the fireball you summoned bursted into an explosion of flames. "That's the sixth time! Jeez... this spell modification is difficult."

You sighed, using some magic to contain the flames before dispelling them. It was lucky the explosion didn't damage anything important, but a mess still lingered.

Whatever, you could deal with it later. Classes would start soon, and you had to make sure you were ready early so you could drag your best friend to class. You quickly got on your uniform before packing up your school bag. Once that was done, you headed out to the halls of Parfaedia Academy.

The school was large, but you've gotten use it the layout during your time studying here. You had no issue finding your way to the private lab your best friend was using.

"Prune Juice!" You called, knocking the door to the lab.

"Just a second!" You heard from the other side of the door. "I just need to finish this potion!"

"We're gonna be late! Save your potion for later and get out here!"

You heard some clattering from the other side before Prune Juice Cookie opened the door with a bit of a groan, shoving some books into his bag as he did.

"We still have some time Y/n." He said with annoyance. "Surely you could've let me spare at least a couple more minutes."

"Hey, I know your 'few more minutes'." You replied as both you and Prince Juice started to head towards the classrooms. "If I left you to finish up, I would be waiting here for at least 10 more minutes!"

"Come on, I was almost done..."

"And we're almost late. Come on! What kind of school representative skips class anyways?"

"The kind that's part of a program that allows students to conduct their own magical research."

You roll your eyes at this remark, but you know Prune Juice is right. One of Parfaedia's many programs allow students with a high enough grade average to conduct their own research into magic, whatever it may be.

With both you and Prune Juice being some of the top students in the school, you were both offered the opportunity, and you both jumped to take it. After all, it was way safer using one of the private labs provided for students in the program for experiments than a public one.

"Are you sure we have to go to class today?" Prune Juice complained as the two of you headed to your classes. "I do have to prepare my potions for the Triple Cone Cup after all."

"Come on, you can work on your formulas in class, like you always do." You responded. "Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day when you'd willingly skip class."

"But this is different! I was chosen as Parfaedia's champion, I need all the time I can get to work on my potions without distractions if I'm to win."

"Dude, you're the best student in the entire school when it comes to potions, if you can't take the W, then I don't know who can."