Chapter 3

"Man, everyone's going apeshit in here." You said to Prune Juice, talking just below a yell to make yourself heard over all the chatter from the other students and teachers.

"Well, it's not complete chaos, but I know what you mean." Prune Juice replied, taking a bite from some jellies on his plate. "It's way too loud for my tastes, at least the food is really good."

"At least." The two of you went back to eating, savoring the food you could only get once a year. You noticed that Prune Juice seemed to be enjoying it more than usual. Makes sense since he'll be competing tomorrow, gotta feel nice being the school champion for someone as competitive and egotistical as him.

As the two of you kept eating and complaining about the volume of the other students, you saw the two freshmen from earlier walk up to Prune Juice.

"U-Um, Prune Juice Cookie!" The orange one, Yuzu Cookie, said.

"Hm?" Prune Juice quickly turned to them and put on his 'negotiator' look. "Yes, is there something I could help you two with? A potion perhaps?"

"No, we're just here to wish you good luck!" The purple freshman, Bilberry Cookie, replied.

"Yeah!" Yuzu responded. "We're rooting for you Prune Juice! We know you can win!"

"Oh, well thanks you two." While Prune Juice tried to keep a calm, neutral demeanor, it was obvious he was caught off guard, and you had to let out a snicker.

"No problem, good luck in the tournament!" Bilberry responded.

The two of them headed back to where they were sitting previously, and you broke out into complete laughter.

"Nah bro, that was too sweet!" You said as you laughed. "I've never seen you caught that off guard before!"

"What? I-I wasn't caught off guard." Prune Juice said quickly, trying to quickly save face. "I was just surprised, that's all."

"Dude, that's the same thing." You quickly calmed yourself down and put your arm around his shoulders. "Understandable though. Getting complimented like that right in front of your face just hits different, doesn't it?"

"I can't deny that. It's also completely different than a teacher complimenting your work."

"I imagine so. Better or worse?"

"Better. Much better actually."

"Cool."

The two of you both continue to eat in silence, as the two of you were nearly done. As you took your last bite, you turned back to Prune Juice.

"Welp, I'm done. Wanna dip as soon as you finish?" You asked him.

"I suppose we could. You can go without me, I plan on getting some more food."

"Aight, cya back at the Parfaedian quarters?"

"See you there."

You give Prune Juice a quick fist bump as you got up from the table and start to leave. Yet, as you were leaving, your eye caught on Capsaicin Cookie. He definitely seemed like the loud and boisterous type, and he exuded a friendly yet confident aura.

It took all your willpower to tear your eyes away from him and let one of the teachers know you were gonna go back to the school quarters for now. The teacher, Latte Cookie, nodded and let you head back.

You took one last glance at Capsaicin Cookie before heading to the Parfaedian dorms. Your mind was filled with thoughts of him as you headed through the pathways of the mountains back to the dorms your school was assigned for the competition. You couldn't help but feel your cheeks heat up as you thought about him.

You quickly tried to shake off these thoughts, he's not from your school, hell, he's actively competing against Prune Juice! Not only would it not work, but that's betrayal of your best friend and lowkey honorary brother!

Why does Capsaicin Cookie have to do this to you? Why is he so handsome and attractive..?

You opened the door to your dorm for the competition and flopped face first onto your bed. You had no focus or energy to do any experimentation with magic, maybe you should read a bit or just go to bed early. Anything to clear your mind of all this uncertainty. You were going to root for Prune Juice, that should be obvious, so why did you want to root for Capsaicin so bad? It didn't make sense...

You changed into pajamas, picked up an interesting looking book from a nearby bookshelf, got into your bed, and started to read. Maybe you can clear your mind with reading before Prune Juice came back.

You felt yourself drifting off as you read, your mind filled with an imaginary war for who would you would be rooting for in the Triple Cone Cup as you ended up falling asleep.