CH-4

The next day – 8:27 AM

Naruto sighed to himself as he was perched atop the wooden post he was tied to during the bell test Kakashi had given Team 7 at the Third Training Ground, this time clad in the standard jōnin garb consisting of a blue long-sleeved shirt with the Uzumaki swirl on both sleeves, blue pants and a flak jacket. He also went the extra mile to emulate Kakashi by wrapping the lower half of his calves in white bandages along with blue fingerless gloves with a metal plate on the back of the hands, he had also reverted to wearing his maroon haori with a black flame pattern on the bottom to honour his father as well. Him and Kurenai had been meeting there at eight sharp whenever they could for his genjutsu training. The training ground was thankfully unused, as the next batch of academy students wouldn't be ready to be assigned a jōnin sensei for another two years at least, and Naruto was lined up to fill that role for the next Team 7.

'Guess she's not coming. I shouldn't have kissed her last night, what was I thinking?' Naruto mentally berated himself.

Just as he hopped off the post a figure jumped from a tree branch at the edge of the forest surrounding the training ground and started walking towards him.

"Sorry I'm late, Naruto-kun!" She yelled from some distance away while waving in greeting.

"No problem, but I was starting to think you weren't going to show." Naruto returned when she had gotten closer.

"I had a little trouble finding someone to watch Bī-chan for the day."

Naruto just looked at her curiously, at first Kurenai had no idea why, until she remembered him sharing stories of the only other Jinchūriki to survive the war, Killer Bee, or Uncle Bee as Naruto called him.

"Bī-chan is my daughter," She explained, "Her full name is Biwako, after Sandaime-sama's wife that died the night the Kyūbi attacked nineteen years ago, but she hates it when people call her that, so I call her Bī instead."

Naruto stiffened slightly at being reminded of just one of the many hundreds of people that died the night of his birth, but ultimately shrugged it off. He came to accept that what happened that night wasn't his fault, even if the majority of Konoha disagreed for his entire childhood. Besides, he'd gotten his revenge. He let Tobi know, shortly before ending his life, just how extensively Naruto resented his very existence for causing the deaths of his parents and the others that night. Naruto may have found it in him to forgive Nagato, but as far as he was concerned Tobi was a vile man, far beyond even his – or anyone else's – forgiveness.

"Right, let's get started then." Kurenai said whilst stretching.

Naruto smirked, he'd successfully cast a D-rank genjutsu only once before before, and even then it took him several tries and the illusion didn't do what it was supposed to, but he was confident that he could do it right this time, and on the first attempt no less. He'd been training in secret at night and in the afternoon using a shadow clone for a partner, clones may be immune to illusions, but Naruto discovered they can still cast them, and if Naruto asked the Kyūbi not to disrupt his chakra flow unless he absolutely couldn't break the genjutsu himself, it turned out to be quite an effective training method. He got first hand knowledge of what exactly the technique did and, once the clone dispelled itself, he gained the knowledge of how to perform said technique as well.

Naruto formed the clone seal and shadow clone poofed into existence behind Kurenai, the clone was never needed, but they both agreed that it would be a good idea to have someone close by who could help break her out a genjutsu if by some miracle Naruto actually managed to get one off successfully, and on the off chance she couldn't do it herself.

"Let's see what you've learned so far, Naruto." Kurenai said as she popped her knuckles.

Naruto nodded and formed the appropriate hand seals before intoning the name of the technique.

MiNe.

"Demonic Illusion: Death Mirage Jutsu."

Kurenai smiled as she saw the swirl of leaves envelop her, it may be a simple technique, but the fact that it seemed to be going well right off the bat was impressive. Although that's where her joy of being trapped in the technique ended, as the illusion it manifested was quite simply, horrifying. The raven-haired woman looked to her right to see a man with slicked-back silver hair wearing an Akatsuki cloak and wielding a triple-bladed scythe with a red paint job and a steel cable attached to the end which was running under the man's cloak, whom she instantly recognized as Hidan, the man who killed her lover and father of her daughter. Not wishing to see where this illusion would lead, she shakily formed the Tiger seal and commanded the technique to dispel.

"Release."

Much to her displeasure, the illusion didn't disperse, instead it plugged forward as Hidan seemingly pulled a young child from his cloak, a young child that looked quite familiar. Then he looked directly at Kurenai, grinning and licking his lips sadistically.

"Release!" She commanded.

Still nothing happened, as Hidan just laughed soundlessly and threw the Biwako into the air and took a stance in preparation of swinging his scythe upwards that would almost certainly cleave the child in two. Biwako reached the apex of her air-time and started to fall back toward the ground at the same time Hidan swung his weapon.

"RELEASE!" She shouted desperately.

Just as the sharp instrument was about to make contact with human flesh Kurenai felt a hand on her shoulder, causing Hidan and Biwako to disappear and a Naruto clone to appear at her side while the real one began running towards her. Kurenai felt her legs give out as she dropped to all-fours, hyperventilating.

"Kurenai-chan!" Naruto shouted while skidding to a stop directly in front of her as his clone vanished from existence in a puff of smoke.

"Kurenai! Are you okay?" Naruto asked, kneeling down beside the frantic woman and placing a hand on her shoulder.

She seemed to relax slightly under his touch as she eased herself into a sitting position and leaned her left side into Naruto's chest, to which he responded by wrapping his arms around her shoulders in a hug and resting his chin on the top of her head. After several minutes she seemed to have calmed down considerably, her breathing returning to normal.

"Are you okay, Kurenai-chan?" Naruto asked again in a soft voice.

The woman in question just nodded weakly.

"I'm really sorry about that..." He continued.

"Don't be," Kurenai said firmly, "I'm proud of you for finally casting your first genjutsu successfully."

Naruto didn't argue, he knew it wouldn't get him anywhere, and he also had no control over what the victim would see when caught in that particular jutsu, but that didn't mean he liked it.